The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Special Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Better than expected, it's in great condition! I can't stop with these freaking 7548's and 7c43's. I take back everything I ever said about you sickos buying variants of the same watch!!
Got it for what I think was a great price at $185, considering it's condition.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
Man Ray, you're going to cause me to fall off the wagon right at TAX time..........

·
Special Member
1,321 Posts
Nice Ray!
Always wanted one. Finally did land one this past summer.
Pretty close to what yours looks like. You would think that the orange dial version would bring in a higher price tag. Tried to sell mine a couple months ago. Still have it.
{I think it may have originally belonged to Elvis}
I'm going to add this as a tagline to the bottom of all my posts now!
Congrats on the beautiful 700c though!
Mike

·
Special Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I must add that it came on a gl-831 in as good condition. Also, it's a non runner and suspect (hope) it could just be the battery but couldn't open it with just a generic case opener, I need big Bertha!
Btw: is there anything out there available, and affordable, you've seen that I could use for multiple tasks; such as a press and case opener?

·
Special Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
@Jim W: that's good to know makes up a little for the not too smart moves.

@mario_d: huh, so your 7548-700C in the middle is also from '82. All three of yours look superb!! Man, I had a chance to go after a teal/green one and regret not even trying, what a dummy! I do have a confession to make, this 700c was going to be the sacrificial lamb to restore the 701A with a properish bezel, but can't do it. Tough **** for the 701A.
So Mario, regarding these models you're like the Red (shawshank redemption) of this joint.
Red: "I've been known to locate certain things..." Let me know if you come across a bezel.
Another quote from Red: “Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”
Love that movie!!!

·
Registered
4,364 Posts
@mario_d: huh, so your 7548-700C in the middle is also from '82. All three of yours look superb!! Man, I had a chance to go after a teal/green one and regret not even trying, what a dummy! I do have a confession to make, this 700c was going to be the sacrificial lamb to restore the 701A with a properish bezel, but can't do it. Though **** for the 701A.
So Mario, regarding these models you're like the Red (shawshank redemption) of this joint.
Red: "I've been known to locate certain things..." Let me know if you come across a bezel.
Another quote from Red: “Let me tell you something my friend. Hope is a dangerous thing. Hope can drive a man insane.”
Love that movie!!!
I've also missed a couple of teal/green 700C's... better luck next time ;)

I'll keep my eyes open regarding a nice bezel but I bet it would be easier to find a nice donor watch. Then again if you feel uncomfortable about the condition of your 701A then I'd be happy to take it off your hands ;)

·
Registered
5,291 Posts
Re: a Big Bertha. I find the 3-prong case back tool is the only way to go. Adjust it perfectly, put the opener into a vise, bring the case back to the tool, push down hard with one hand and rotate with your other hand until you think blood might squirt out. Works every time.

Re: Crystal press. Do not toss good money into a cheap ebay unit. They don't work well and the crappy nylon dies are too shallow for a lot of vintage domes and bevelled edge crystals. Get yourself a real one, expect to pay $100 or so. You will not regret this. I have a vintage Seiko S-200 press with Seiko aluminum dies and it is simply a joy to own and use.

·
Registered
24,650 Posts
Nice Grab, They are addicting to say the least...

·
Special Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
@mario: yeah, that's what this one was gonna be, a donor, will have to find another victim.

@david: those are very nice and the gl's look great.

I don't think I was ever this fascinated with any other models as I am currently with the 7548's, go figure, after completely ignoring them for years.

@Jon: thanks, I've actually thought about the vice with a soft material in between. Is there a press you've seen to suggest?

·
Administrator
28,501 Posts
Re: a Big Bertha. I find the 3-prong case back tool is the only way to go. Adjust it perfectly, put the opener into a vise, bring the case back to the tool, push down hard with one hand and rotate with your other hand until you think blood might squirt out. Works every time.

Re: Crystal press. Do not toss good money into a cheap ebay unit. They don't work well and the crappy nylon dies are too shallow for a lot of vintage domes and bevelled edge crystals. Get yourself a real one, expect to pay $100 or so. You will not regret this. I have a vintage Seiko S-200 press with Seiko aluminum dies and it is simply a joy to own and use.
I love my Big Bertha and would never consider a 3 prong to take its place, so easy to use on even the tightest case or screw down crystal retaining ring.

I have a Seiko S-200 press and to be honest I don't really like using it, dies are good and the press quality is good but I don't like the action, I now use a cheap (£20)screw down press with home made dies for specific jobs and get on with it great :)

As they say, different folks different strokes :)

·
Special Member
4,437 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks John.
I know that as soon as I start buying proper tools it's gonna be on! Get ready vintage watches!

·
Registered
19 Posts
That's a great looking example Ray.
I love these watches, they are pretty good for a novice to work on.
I have not done a crystal yet, removing hands is my next step. It looks like a tricky business fraught with danger.

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Rey Sir my Congrats On a great Catch.👍 You have Some Envious Watches And That’s Another Gem 💎 👏👏👏⌚Wear it in good health🙏

1 - 20 of 27 Posts