The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've always found the 6309 cushion case to be one of the most attractive and comfortable case designs I have ever come across. Over time (and as a modder), I soon realized that my 6309s stayed in the watch box while the SKXs eventually got sold. This just reinforces my love of the 6309 and how it can be modded as easily as the SKX. I don't do these mods just for the sake of changing things up, I do them to get the distinct look that I want. Modding allows me to get more fun out of watch collecting. Once done, I don't mess with the mod anymore and enjoy it for as long as it keeps me interested and only fine tune the design if and when necessary.

As a step up to the usual hands, bezel, dial change routine, I ordered a lume kit and decided to learn how to replace crystals. I had a TST case ordered which meant that when it arrived I had to build the watch from scratch, something I've never done before. Now I know you guys love before and after pics but I'm really poor at documenting the stuff I do so please bear with these limited 'before' photos...

6309-7290 based TST case, DD crystal, gaskets, coke insert, coin edge bezel and lume kit -

Hands roughed-up, harassed, stripped and prepped -

Hands painted using "1/24 scale model car building" skills summoned from decades ago -

Hands relumed -

Things did not happen overnight of course. Planning for the 'look' I wanted took long because I didn't want to create something only to change my mind again after some time. I wanted my TST to be bad ass and look different from the rest but still retain its very Seiko DNA. John Bentley's (TheTigerUK) TST case work is amazing! So here's what I came up with after a few weeks of design planning...

I initially thought that a Swiss Tropic strap would be enough but when I thought of slapping a Strapcode Super Engineer II on it, I couldn't sleep! The dial is of course aftermarket and for sure will raise the eyebrows of some Seiko cognoscenti but please keep in mind, this is MY vision of a 150m rated "Shrouded Coke Diver." It just ticks all the boxes design wise and for me it is a dream Seiko diver. DD sapphire crystal from Alex of Crystal Times is top notch and looks just right. You guys should've seen my face when I finished this!!!

The fun did not end there... with my new reluming skills I finally made my own custom second hand for this "Adventurer" mod. The devil is in the details and I just wouldn't accept any other kind of yellow. Jake's new Tudor Ranger inspired hands also completed the look, but not before I painted the bases black to really frame that yellow lollipop second. Dial is from Harold, coin edge bezel is from Crystal Times while the gunmetal insert is from Krzysztof aka Dr. Seikostain.

I'm also a big fan of military themed watches so I had to make my own vintage version. This "6309 Mil Diver" is inspired by old field watches and the Blancpain FF - made from all Dagaz parts. This used to be a 6105 mod with an original dial but I have gotten over my 6105 envy and wanted to make something with a bit more substance.

Last but not the least, I have to include this keeper. This mod has stayed in the watch box the longest and even survived my first purge... my "6309 T-dial," it's my go-to watch for practically anything. Done for me by Harold back in 2013 and serviced last year by Spencer. We really have to thank all these suppliers/hobbyists/service providers who give us variety and great products and services in this hobby.

So there you have it, my current stable of 6309s. You might be asking, "so where's the REAL deal?"

Well for the longest time I've been hunting one down but my requirement was pretty steep, it had to be mint and still have the red lettering which means they come up rarely and most are very pricey. A few hours ago I let one slip by, a very nice example from Mr. Mounce albeit with an aftermarket insert. I decided not to pursue it because I am getting an SRP777 instead. There are enough vintage watches (including Swiss) in my stable to keep my wallet annoyed for the foreseeable future. Aside from being cheaper to maintain, getting the reissue would surely extend my 6309 enjoyment by a few more decades because it is new.

I can't convey enough how pleased I am with these and my current collection in general. I'm really looking forward to grabbing that reissue soon! Thanks for reading.

- Tristan

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well done on all! As a unrepentant modder myself I understand your desire to customize. The TST conversions [which I have 2] are the ultimate canvas for individual expression. Plus, DIY personalization brings a whole new level of satisfaction.
Congrats & enjoy,
dP

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
That is a nice group of mod's there Tristan. I do not do so much modifying these days but do have a TST that is going through it's millionth incarnation just now. I am also in the process of repainting and luming some Atlas pattern hands for a (ahem) badass TST mod. Will show you when it's done.

I think my favorite of your group has to be the last one, the 'T' dial mod, to my eyes it is well balanced in colour and form.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Well done on all! As a unrepentant modder myself I understand your desire to customize. The TST conversions [which I have 2] are the ultimate canvas for individual expression. Plus, DIY personalization brings a whole new level of satisfaction.
Congrats & enjoy,
dP
Thank you. I've seen both your TSTs and they look stunning. And yes you said it, there is a lot of satisfaction in putting in that little extra dose of personal customization.

Nice work Tristan and I really like your "6309 Mil Diver" :clap::clap:
Thanks John! I just recently discovered the olive drab canvas strap with a nice taper and brushed/polished buckle. I really think it completes the look.

That is a nice group of mod's there Tristan. I do not do so much modifying these days but do have a TST that is going through it's millionth incarnation just now. I am also in the process of repainting and luming some Atlas pattern hands for a (ahem) badass TST mod. Will show you when it's done.

I think my favorite of your group has to be the last one, the 'T' dial mod, to my eyes it is well balanced in colour and form.
Thanks Mike! I once saw a mod of yours (6309, 7548?) with the day/night SKX hands and that actually inspired me to go do mine! I'm keen to see what you come up with using the Atlas hands. As you see in the photo above, I also have a plan for them (my donor watch hasn't arrived yet though). Do keep us posted!

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
That's a quality AM dial in the TST, where did you get it?

·
Registered
1,976 Posts
All very nice :cool: Have you been able to get the 6309 Mod dials with the correct dial feet or have you had to use dial dots?
When I was recently looking for a Mod dial for my TST I could only find dials with dial feet to suit the SKX movements. :(

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
All very nice :cool: Have you been able to get the 6309 Mod dials with the correct dial feet or have you had to use dial dots?
When I was recently looking for a Mod dial for my TST I could only find dials with dial feet to suit the SKX movements. :(
I've had some success with a smear of clear silicon - it gives a bit of room to,twek it before it sets - the added bonus us if required it can easly be removed without damage to dial or holder

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup, that TST lookks pretty good tristan. Nice job!

The 6309 mil diver is a class mod, I kinda want one!
Thanks Guy. This was the lume job we were discussing. I'm glad it didn't turn out to be a disaster. Nerve wracking at first but not so much towards the end :grin: Let me know how your project is coming along...

Thanks John. Dial feet have all been clipped with the exception of the TST. AFAIK, the TST dial is a refurbished original. I could be wrong, I did not bother removing it from the movement when I was building. The other ones all have dial feet for an SKX so they had to go. I use small strips of 3M adhesive for the dials to stick instead.

man, that is a great looking TST. I keep saying i'll get one ...one of these days! yours looks awesome.
Thanks man! I say get one soon. I didn't have a Tuna and recently handed over my only shrouded diver (a SUN019) to my bro. A few months ago I tried on an SBBN015 and fell in love with it but the thought of having the option to customize was just too strong. The TST gave me a way to have both.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
This has prompted mt to twek my TST
That is nice! I was looking for a donor 7548 prior to deciding on the auto. Yours looks to be mint, maybe I can find me a nice example one of these days. Btw, that shroud is interesting. Care to share where I can find one and are there any color options? Thanks.

@Bodo, I forgot to say thank you for giving me the encouragement to do that lume job by posting and sharing info on how you did it for your 7002. I might have never actually attempted to do such a thing had you not explained it the way you did LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts