The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just a quick post to show my new (and only) mod - a 7040.

Started life as a junked-out watch from a bad buy (there ain't no such thing as a decent $90 7040 -lesson learnt). Dial stained, hands corroded, bezel gouged, case badly polished, tube dented, movement suspect, and the worst aftermarket insert ever seen (shiny!!!).

Dial, hands, bezel, crystal, chapter ring, insert and strap replaced with mod items from our usual forum friends. Case carefully refurbished, new movement.

Voila!!! I Love it...

Attachments

·
Registered
501 Posts
I love the look of the watch but not the hands to much. It would look a little better with maybe some Planet Ocean hands. All in all I think you did a amazing job on the watch. :eek:

·
AqualandKing
18,386 Posts
Yep thats a cool Mod,I like its simple Dial and the hands actually match the dial Indices.Well done.Another 6309 saved in my book.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Surprisingly clean look Alvin. Nice job. Please do give us the play by play on the story behind it and how it was created. I have a feeling it would be fascinating.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
By request from Gabe and other members, some more information on the modded 6309. Thank you all for the kind words. Not too exciting at all I'm afraid Gabe!

Surfing the web one evening between Christmas & New Year, came accross a nice looking 7040 for $90. OK, so let's take a chance! It arrives a month later and it is in terrible condition! everywhere I look it has faults.

I was so disappointed, I promptly spent more than double that amount for a decent 7040 from a reputable forum member, who supplied extensive references. I can safely recommend doing business with Mr. Don T. This one was pristine and all original, as promised - no disappointments here!

So now I had one perfect original, what to do with this one? I hate discarding usable vintage parts, but all that was salvageable was the case - and even that was not perfect. I love a watch with a clean, simple, all metal look so I decided to build a weekend-beater. I would have preferred a silver dial (most Seiko divers originally had black dials), but couldn't find one for a 6XXX series movement anywhere!

Ordered a white dial, hands & polished dial ring from Noah, saphire crystal & insert from Harold, seals from Jonathan, and waffle-style strap from Jake. My watchmaker had a good used bezel rotating ring and the NOS 6309 movement & second hand I already had.

When we removed the crown, we found that the tube also had a big dent in it, but with masterful skill, my watchmaker was able to push the dent out almost completely.

A good clean, careful polish, and final assembly, and the result is what you see. I have to admit, I prefer well restored originals, but it is nice to own at least one watch that you don't have to be so extra careful with - just put it on and go! Also, it kinda grows on you - the more I wear it, the more I love it!!!

·
Registered
547 Posts
The choice of the hand set is perfect, mirroring the shape of the dial markers. It's great when a design comes together so well!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts