The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone learned more details about when they will be available for purchase? Any good online retailers to recommend?

Last I heard, a month or so ago, they were expected sometime in June.

Thanks!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
I think they're expected in July, not June. These two articles say July:

The only article I've seen that says June is HODINKEE's: Introducing: The Seiko SPB151 and SPB153 'Captain Willard' Prospex Models - HODINKEE

Whereas all the other articles I've seen say July, so I think HODINKEE just got it wrong.

Seiko also released a statement saying that the watches which they announced recently which haven't been released yet might be delayed due to COVID-19: Important notice regarding the timing of new product launches. | News | Seiko Watch Corporation

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
I have one on pre-order at the Seiko Boutique and I asked as to when to expect it in. They are still closed since late March but the manager did email me back to say "we don't know when any shipments will resume."

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Dammit Russ that review just about has me canceling my pre-order.

What a brilliant job he did there on the review video. Great stuff.
I hear ya. It's certainly given me pause as well. For me his observation that the latest rendition has a case shape that is more elongated than the round design of the 6105 is particulalrly disconcerting. Might be better off pursuing a good vintage 6105....the price is comparable anyway.

I had not seen Peter Kotsa's reviews before but based on seeing some his other offerings, I'd say he's a guy to watch.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
Further this discussion. Other folks in other forums have questioned this YouTuber's perspective since he may not have the SPB 151/153 actually in hand. That's fair enough and we all know about opinions. eh?

I've been down this rabbit hole before. I have a number of 6309's & 1 6306 in my collection and to me, they are the iconic Seiko diver with 6105 running a close second. When Seiko released the SRP reissues, I jumped on board thinking how nice it would be to have a new watch with modern movements so that I could wear it worry free etc. Fact is however, I'm pretty easy on my watches anyway and eventually that SRP773 became surplus to my needs.

So here we are, presented with yet another interpretation of the 6105 and kudos to Seiko for putting it out there. I have a slightly modified vintage 6105 (aka Mr Crusty) that I wear occasionally and a Typhoon that Jake made to scratch the 6105 itch and kudos to him too for putting it out there. As far as pricing goes, I suspect you can pick up a well cared for/restored vintage for what these SPB's go for. So it's a bit of a toss up. This review focusing on the case shape is what piqued my interest. Whether it's accurate or not, I don't know.

Bottom line for me is to determine whether I'm more curious than itchy ;) Guess I'll have to wear my 6105 & Typhoon more often to diagnose my symptoms. For what it's worth, I like the green dial. Time will tell and I'm in no rush but we all know that such logic is precarious at best when you're an idiot.

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
Saw a used but like new spb151 in the local used store, price showing around $1800! Beside it was a 'used' 6159 for yen700,000! And to think I sold my 6105 for under $500 3 years ago. I am inclined to be like Russ and would enjoy the real deal ones , even the Typhoon homage (which I also sold off). The smaller used stores have lots of G Shocks and older Seiko dress watches along with less Citizen models. Verrry few divers. Saw an orange Monster like new or NOS for near $300.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
hrrrmmmmm that video is going to make me learn towards buying a used one instead of having that brand spanking new one. i was "thinking" of buying one for each son as well, but maybe not now. LOL. they can have a nice SRP now, not that either of them are into watches at the moment.

that case study is really what puts me off the most. i was going to get both colors, but if anything, will lean towards the green one first just because it's different.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
121 Posts
Thanks to the OP for the link that was well worth watching. This is all just my 2 cents as it were; I am looking forward to a SPB153, such a distinctive look and a nice rendition IMO I have a vintage Benrus strap I plan to wear it on. Having just sold two 6105s and still owning one, I do not see ever buying an SLA unless it is an "I can't refuse deal" second hand. My new Pepsi Turtle has totally replaced my last remaining 6309, I fitted a 6309 heavy oyster bracelet to the new Turtle, quite a lot of shaping to the trim pieces, but I could not stand the OEM bracelet for the watch. I do not currently have any vintage watches in rotation and I do not see that changing, service work is such a PITA these days, parts are astronomical $$. My 6309 is from 1984 and has never opened, still runs surprisingly well, I am hoping my new Seikos will fare as well. The pictured baby blue Tuna was an impulse purchase on a wedding anniversary trip to St Thomas and was my first "brand new" Seiko purchase in ages (since the 80s), it is in rotation and get's a lot of love, lol.
BBT2.jpg
BBT2.jpg

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
I have been thinking over why suddenly the bloom is off the rose for me.

It dawned on me, there is no one 'fatal flaw' and in fact each item (dial execution, crown guard shape, hand set, size) would be fine by itself. But add them up and then having to spend well over $1000 and you know what, those watch buying dollars are just going to go towards something else.

I wanted to add this to my 6105-8110, my SLA033, and a nice green Sharkey/Chinese knock off mash up of parts but I think it's a gap not worth $1300 to fill. So I pass on it.

·
Registered
3,400 Posts
I have been thinking over why suddenly the bloom is off the rose for me.

It dawned on me, there is no one 'fatal flaw' and in fact each item (dial execution, crown guard shape, hand set, size) would be fine by itself. But add them up and then having to spend well over $1000 and you know what, those watch buying dollars are just going to go towards something else.

I wanted to add this to my 6105-8110, my SLA033, and a nice green Sharkey/Chinese knock off mash up of parts but I think it's a gap not worth $1300 to fill. So I pass on it.
I can understand your perspective there Jon. It would appear that you've pretty much got all the bases covered anyway. As you say, those scheckels could be spent on something different.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Some of you seem to have come to the conclusions I have.

Could they not have made the SRP turtle dials March the 6309 except for 200m? Could they not have used the correct seconds hand?

They are so busy making so many variations how about just one as the classic.
And did they have to ruin and downgrade the SKX line?

Can we not just have 500$ or 1000$ clones of the 6217, 1st 6105, and second 6105 except for meter raring, clicking unidirectional bezel, and screw down crow, and 200m WR? Who do they think is actively seeking X dials and changed indice shapes, and new hand styles?

Can they not just put out a MM 6159 clone with a nice movement and $1500 MSRP?

When the Swiss are kicking their ass on entry and mid level auto divers feature and price wise things have gone astray.

Almost none of the Swiss can compete with Rolex, why do they think they can?
They have the baggage of a ton of **** level bottom feeder market watches with the same brand name. Rolex has a different brand name for their associated mid level line.

The WHOLE entire popularity and desire for Seiko auto divers is based on how much quality you get for comparatively lower prices. The market for expensive limited editions and reimagined retro inspired is a fraction of the market for true modern re-releases of updated models.

The interest in highly priced quartz analog and expensive ways to mechanically generate electricity to power a quartz oscillator which provides amazing accuracy for a mostly mechanical watch, but kind of kills the whole point of having a mechanical without electric power involvement.

When you start getting innovative and fancy looking just for the sake of it, stuff goes wrong.
Like Seiko and the 6309, the Beretta 92 was a darling of the late 1970s to mid 1990s.
Then instead of making a true compact version, or a compatible subcompact version, or a polymer framed version,
they came out with the Cougar. Same manual of arms, but incompatible magazines, and a rotating barrel nobody cared about. It failed.
So then they came out with a subcompact, different manual of arms, purported magazine compatibility that really wasn’t, super styling, horrible ergonomics, horrible trigger, deteriorating grip, and issues with early released versions. It failed.
So then they came out with super styling, slippery grip, stupidly named 90-two with updates that lost some legacy frame/upper compatibility same magazines, at least, but it failed.
So then they combines the failed concepts of edgy styling, rotating barrel, magazine incompatibility, and slippery grip, and obviously the line, the PX4, failed to get any serious interest and they stubbornly cling to the line on life support.
Then, with decades to master things, come out with an edgy styled, striker fired gun with magazine incompatibility, the APX, currently on fire sale with rebates.

The only significant interest in Beretta pistols currently, still far less than it could have been, because CZ stepped in to fill the niche much as citizen and orient and homage microbrands have stepped in on a Seiko, is when Wilson Combat finally got them to update what the market wanted from the 92, followed by Langdon Tactical, and now their own performance line versions.

·
Registered
2,088 Posts
They really screwed over the SLA033 buyers with this release. I wonder how those buyers must feel right now who thought they bought something unique and special (with the according premium for that)

·
Registered
5,915 Posts
They really screwed over the SLA033 buyers with this release. I wonder how those buyers must feel right now who thought they bought something unique and special (with the according premium for that)
Much like the Rolex crowd when a previously precious metal only model suddenly goes to being available in stainless steel, too.

·
Registered
1,660 Posts
actually, i don't feel screwed over at all. i got a great price and love the watch. it is alot different than the soon to be released watches. would i buy the -033 again, yeah, I would - i might wait a little longer, but I'd buy it. you only live once annnnnd my dial doesn't have the "X" on it. LOL.

<* shark >>><

1 - 20 of 24 Posts