The Watch Site banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back on the bench after an absence. "Real life" can be a true pain in the butt.

While getting into some estimates for a customer I found this very odd rotating ring anomaly on an otherwise very nice-looking and seemingly all-original 6105-8110 from November 1976:

The rotating ring is missing four grooves. As you can see, the blank spot does not line-up with any other particular feature.

Could this be an instance of Seiko using up the last few parts despite the obvious imperfection as they wound-down production?

· Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I doubt this was made-up by a factory worker as it's back was hand engraved with someone's name in Western script, indicating its travel through Seiko's retail network. Also, the grooves in this rotating ring match those of my own 6105-8119. I'm sure, like other machines, the one that made this rotating ring hiccuped and the flaw was missed by the QC person on that line. Not impossible considering the number parts spewed out by automatic tooling equipment.

I've advised my customer, and he agrees, to leave this watch alone other than some cleaning to preserve its original authenticity.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.