The Watch Site banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering buying this 6139, claimed to be original parts, but I noticed weird wear and tear around the subdial. Can anyone fathom a guess as to what caused it, and if it's a serious issue?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
I have a couple of 6139s but not the "Pogue" so I'm no expert and couldn't fathom a guess at the cause of the damage. For me, however, that would be a pretty big issue as it spoils the look of what should be a truly handsome watch.

There are plenty of these about, and some of them are actually non AM fakes too [!] so I think I personally would pass on this one and be patient until the next comes around.

Just my 0.02 worth.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
This is a common area for corrosion on yellow dial 6139's and from what I understand (thanks Jonathan) the clear lacquer coating on the dial is thinnest around the edge of the sub dial which allows corrosion to start in this area.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
SeikoPsycho2 said:
This is a common area for corrosion on yellow dial 6139's and from what I understand (thanks Jonathan) the clear lacquer coating on the dial is thinnest around the edge of the sub dial which allows corrosion to start in this area.
Info added to memory banks. It's one of the reasons I like this place so much; the knowledge of the members and their willingness to share that experience with others.

I'll plus one you for that!

+1

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
Thanks for the +1. I can use all I can get........... ;)

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
BTW, I bought a supposed "original" Seiko bracelet from that seller some time ago and what I received was a cheap knock-off.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts

·
Registered
845 Posts
Yes, that is a pretty common problem with some original gold dial 6139's.

You can see a similar ring around the subdial on this example of mine, as well as a few other age spots on the dial. You have to decide if you can live with the appearance as it is, because short of changing the dial, there is no fix. I am not usually one with an appreciation of wabi, but I can live with mine.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
SeikoPsycho2 said:
BTW, I bought a supposed "original" Seiko bracelet from that seller some time ago and what I received was a cheap knock-off.

Yea, the pictures seem to show a bracelet in TOO good condition... I'm wondering if it's a knockoff or if it was buffed.

·
Registered
3,472 Posts
kilohotel said:
Yea, the pictures seem to show a bracelet in TOO good condition... I'm wondering if it's a knockoff or if it was buffed.

[/quote]

This is not an original 6139-600X bracelet. The original clasp has a tab and the "H-link" is slightly different.

·
Registered
614 Posts
SeikoPsycho2 said:
This is not an original 6139-600X bracelet. The original clasp has a tab and the "H-link" is slightly different.
What's pictured there is the STELUX version of the H-Link. The main difference is the different clasp, thicker folded links and a thicker middle link. It is the bracelet swedefreak based his reproduction from. I may be wrong, but I believe, according to our data, these were on Asian market 600x's. The "rest of the world" market pieces had the SEIKO version, which is thinner and more flimsy, and has the tab on the buckle.

Personally, the STELUX piece is dramatically better quality than the flimsy SEIKO bracelet, and I'd much prefer have that on a piece.

Below are the 4 variations -

First on the left is the original SEIKO taper H-link
Second on the left is the straight SEIKO H-link (these are particularly flimsy)
Third is swedefreak's reproduction solid H-link
Fourth is a NOS taper STELUX H-Link.

·
Super Moderator
2,924 Posts
haloeight said:
Fourth is a NOS taper STELUX H-Link.

[/quote]

Hi Halo,
Are you sure that last one was ever attached to a -600x? The end-piece doesn't appear like it would fit the case properly- there is no arch to the top of the end piece.

·
Registered
614 Posts
rileynp said:
Hi Halo,
Are you sure that last one was ever attached to a -600x? The end-piece doesn't appear like it would fit the case properly- there is no arch to the top of the end piece.
Not 100% sure. The top link on this bracelet is a 24mm and the end piece is for a different piece. I modify them by removing the top link and putting the standard end piece on.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts