The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

I could use some advice. This question was previously posted on another forum but since it has been a while I'm hoping to expand the variety of responses and suggestions. So far the decision has been delayed from paralysis by analysis.

I'm in possession of a very heavily used and beaten Seiko 6105-8009. If I'm using the term properly, I think it might set a new standard for wabi. Its almost impossible to see through the crystal in parts. Functionally, the watch only runs for a few seconds at a time. The dial and hands show decomposition and resulting discoloration of lume. The case, bezel, and crown (non-screw type) are in very nice shape, though obviously needing a thorough cleaning.

So here are some questions. Is it worth repairing/restoring either to its original condition or modified? Any suggestions who should do the work? Recognizing that the model has value - at least as reflected by some of the for sale listings - could the cost of repairs/restoration exceed the value?

Bottom line: What would you do if it were yours?

The attached pictures tell the story pretty well.

Thanks in advance.

Ed B.

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Doesn't look that bad to me. Case and crown look pretty good, at least what I can see. New crystal and re-lume, maybe bezel insert and a service(provided it runs okay) and it would be good as new. Jack at IWW does great work on Seiko restores.

Here is a link: http://internationalwatchworks.com/

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
beautiful watch...well worth taking the time to restore it...i would not modify it at all...keep it all original

·
Registered
774 Posts
I agree with all the above. Keep it original as possible and try to source as many nos parts as possible. It's surprising what's out there.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Aside from the discolored hand lume and trashed crystal that one looks good.

A minor restoration and service is all it needs.

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
please keep us updated on progress too...great watch

·
Registered
6,306 Posts
my thoughts too...it needs to be restored ...it deserves it

·
Registered
1,615 Posts
+1 for hand and dial relume, new crystal, gaskets, movement service (or movement replacement if the moisture intrusion is too bad) only.

Case, bezel and crown are in suprisingly good shape. Will be a peach when done.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts