The Watch Site banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Folks,

First off, I apologize for looking for help with an non-Seiko/Citizen watch. Please let me know if I should post this in a different thread/forum.

A friend of mine knows I like to tinker with watches. So, he gave me his father's old dead watch. It was nothing really special or valuable moneywise, but to him it means the world. I tried replacing the battery but it would still not run. I thought maybe I could get a new movement for him and surprise him with a working watch. The movement reads: Muller Co LTD Unadjusted No Jewels and it appears to have a model number of H25. It has a date complication, it measures approximately 26mm wide and it looks to be about 5mm in depth.

Any idea where I can find a replacement movement? I looked at some of the websites for horlogists but I have no clue what I am looking for.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

thebarhound

Movement Name.jpg Movement Model Number.jpg Movement.jpg Dial Side.jpg Size.jpg Depth.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you for the suggestion. I looked them up. The issue is the height, the 955.114 is listed at 2.5mm. However, the height of this one is closer to 5.4mm. Any idea how to look for something similar on Esslinger or some place like that?

Thank you!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found these specs for the 955.112. It is a little thinner at 2.5mm, with an overall height of 3.9. The with is dead on. Any ideas on how I could make this work? Again thank you, I am novice's novice at this.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry,

Here are the specs:

• Outside Diameter: 11 1/2 Ligne or 25.6mm
  • Movement is 2.50mm thick
  • The height from the bottom of the watch movement to the top of the sweep second pinion is 3.9mm
  • Overall height of hour wheel is 1.06mm
  • Has a date display at 3:00
  • Dial is white
  • Requires watch cell 371
  • Requires watch hand sizes: hour 1.20, minute .70, and sweep second .20mm
  • Has 7 jewels
  • Stem: 401-906, Tap 10 Includes watch stem
  • Replaces discontinued ETA movements 555.115 and 955.114
  • ETA® quartz movement
  • Swiss assembled
  • Gold Plates

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
How thick is your old movement? I know its 5+mm including the second hand post. But what about just the body? Also what is the hand size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The body comes in at 3.6mm thick. As for the hands:

I think. Unfortunately I do not yet have a Bergeon 30464 hand gauge. So many toys I want to get, so many.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
The body comes in at 3.6mm thick. As for the hands:

I think. Unfortunately I do not yet have a Bergeon 30464 hand gauge. So many toys I want to get, so many.
Isa 1198 is the only quartz i can think of with a 90x150 hand (that is not chrono like the eta 251.264) thickness should be close as well (IiRC it’s over 3mm body thickness)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
No idea what movement it is, but one thought is that if you're able to find a circuit board that swaps in and simply service the mechanical part of the existing movement, you could save yourself the trouble of having to re-case a new movement in watch. I realize finding the right circuit board becomes an issue then, but it's a thought. I had to do this for an ESA movement on an older Heuer 1000 ladies diver for my mom. Despite knowing what the movement was, I still couldn't find one, but was able to find a similar ESA that used the same circuit board...

·
Registered
801 Posts
Did you test the circuit to see if there is a pulse? And did you try cleaning and oiling the wheels?
It might well be a mechanical issue from dry pivots rather than an electronic issue.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Before stripping it down I would have first ascertained that, with a new battery, the electronics part of the watch was or wasn't running......The vast majority of quartz watches from this era (1970's) that I have acquired 'not running' have merely stopped because the lube in the mechanical part of the watch has dried up and the friction then prevents it working, the electronic part is still ticking away merrily, which can be seen by pulse lights on the quartz tester..........a spot of fresh oil on each of the visible pivots on the top plate then a spin up on the line release is usually all that is needed to get them running again..........

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Did you test the circuit to see if there is a pulse? And did you try cleaning and oiling the wheels?
It might well be a mechanical issue from dry pivots rather than an electronic issue.
This is a great suggestion. As are John_D's. I've seen it go both ways on older quartz movements - 70's quartz circuitry is definitely more delicate (i went through two circuits on one ESA movement!), and can be the problem, but also simply dried lubricants if the circuit is fine. Worth a check!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts