The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, I purchased a nice vintage Seiko World Time (6117-6010) from forum member RickF. It's a beautiful watch and ran great....until I pulled the crown out and broke the stem today. :( Took it to my guy and he was not too optimistic about finding the correct part, so I told him I'd also look. Hence, I'm turning to the experts here.

Any suggestions on suppliers that may have this part?

Is this crown/stem interchangeable with other Seiko models, and if so, which ones?

As a last resort, can a part be readily made?

I don't want this to be a marketplace type post. I'm just looking for a way to fix my nice vintage Seiko.

Vintage World Time-1 by fortsonre, on Flickr

Mods, if this is the wrong place, please accept my apologies and move my post.

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
well hello..there are a few people on here who should be able to help....i have found Stefan is very good to find those hard to find parts...his name on the bay is Schillachi61 and i call on him often when i need something...i am sure this forum can help you find what you need....great looking watch...

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Hi I'm GrammarOfDesign and I have a ton of stems, crowns and crystals here in the US. I share with other forum members as long as they have 50+ posts.

I have the crown it is Seiko Part Number60W06NS in Stainless Steel/silver color. I have a bunch of them OEM Seiko plus a cheaper aftermarket if you want PM and we can talk price.

I do not have the stem - sorry.

I also have the OEM Seiko crystal in both silver and gold if you need one.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks gang, I appreciate the responses. I was just starting to worry that the parts might just not to be available since my watchmaker (who is pretty familiar with Seiko) voiced that worry.

I'm glad to see that they should be available, so I'll work with my watchmaker and see what he can find through his channels. If he has problems, then I'll let him know that I can find the parts for him.

I'll flag this for my future reference. It's great that we have a resource like this. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Does this watch have an internal rotating bezel to line up the name for the time zones? If it does it takes a special stem with a double square key. Seiko number 357611. This stem is not an easy one to find. It is very similar the special stem for the 6139 chronograph Seiko's because they have an internal rotating bezel also but the stem for the 6117 is different. The part is not available from Seiko anymore I know that for sure. I have several but they are for my personal use. They also fit one of my favorite Seiko models the 6119 Sports 70 watches. It is going to most likely depend on the type of connections your watch repair guy has to people who keep Seiko parts for their hobby.

Michael

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Does this watch have an internal rotating bezel to line up the name for the time zones? If it does it takes a special stem with a double square key. Seiko number 357611. This stem is not an easy one to find. It is very similar the special stem for the 6139 chronograph Seiko's because they have an internal rotating bezel also but the stem for the 6117 is different. The part is not available from Seiko anymore I know that for sure. I have several but they are for my personal use. They also fit one of my favorite Seiko models the 6119 Sports 70 watches. It is going to most likely depend on the type of connections your watch repair guy has to people who keep Seiko parts for their hobby.

Michael
Hi Michael, yes it does rotate the inner bezel. I guess I'll find out how connected my guy is. Thanks for the additional information.

Russ

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Also just to help you out many people have incorrectly posted on some forums that the stem for the 6139 chronographs 357612 are the same. Don't make a mistake and pay a lot of money for a Seiko 357612 stem because they absolutely are NOT the same and can not be modified to fit either. Do not but a stem for a 6117A movement either Seiko number 354615. They are for 6117 movements that do not have internal rotating bezels. If your real desperate you could hunt down a whole watch. You would be looking for a 6119 powered Sports 70 diver with an internal rotating chapter ring model Seiko. That would get you the stem you need.

Michael

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Awesome, thanks Michael! Yes, I've already seen another watch out there that could become a "donor" watch if need be. Thanks for the additional information.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Good Luck. I always like to help people when I can but it has taken me years to hoard hard to find parts like this stem. If I had 20 of them I would sell you one but I don't. I'm sure you will track one down. With the value of the World timer it is worth paying even $50 bucks for a 6119 Sports 70 just to get the stem. The you could always relist the watch and get a couple bucks back too. Last month I bought a very nice 6119 Sports 70 for less than $20 bucks because it had no stem or crown. Most likely it found a new home in a world timer I would bet!

Michael

·
Registered
391 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, just heard back from my watchmaker and he said he couldn't get the crown from his source. (I think he said he could get the stem, but not the crown...would that be correct?)

So, I guess I'll be tracking down the parts using the info here. One last question, are there other parts, in particular gaskets, that I should be looking for as well? Assuming I find the parts, I'm going to have him give it a good COA, and I'd like to have all the usual replaceable parts for him. Before this, the watch ran well and kept good time, and the movement looked very clean, so I suspect it will fix right up.

·
Registered
3,675 Posts
A new crown gasket usually comes with the crown. If not, you'll need one. You'll also want a case back gasket. Make sure the stem is correct for the stem gear.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts