The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ha ha... It's a tough debate. On one hand I want to keep the dial untouched, on the other I want it to glow at night becuase the light is dim and requires a button press to see the time. Actually i'm behind the learning curve on this topic. What are the cons? I know the pros but the cons are foggy. :)

·
Administrator
29,523 Posts
Personally if i was going to keep the Arnie and i think they are a great "tool" watch for every day wear etc and i wanted lume at night then i would just go ahead and have it relumed but if your intention is to flip it some time soon then i would leave the relume question for the new owner, and lets be honest the Arnie isent the rarest beast on the planet so it is not as though you are tampering with a piece that deserves to be sitting in a museum or shrine some were ;)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
without seeing the watch it's hard to say, but my normal stance on these things is that in the case of dials with printed markers (as opposed to applied markers) relumes never end up looking like the original printed application. If done right, the look good, sure, but the look different. To me this is important, so unless the lume if visually damaged, I tend to leave it alone. Now if the watch required heavy restoration and the dial was not that good to begin with, then relume away.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Gents those were to extremely helpful insights!! I need to chew on this one carefully.

I think my near pristine example I will leave alone. She just shipped back out yesterday becuase I was unhappy with the cut on her aftermarket shroud. Decided to have the near perfect original shroud reinstalled on that one.

This one seen below I may ship out and have relumed. Need a cleaner bezel too...

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
no, i have NEVER seen anyone relume a dial so that the shapes of the markers are perfectly round or perfectly square. the markers would look fine during the day, but the mishapen markers look terrible under the cover of darkness.

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
I agree with Gabe's point. There is a risk the relume will not look 'original' . Just look at relumes of the 6309 dials. Even the best relume work you can still see that its a mod and not original.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts