The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you read in my post from several days ago, I've been trying to work out re-applying the proper finish on the 6139-7100 "Helmet" case after years of use. That post showed the device I conjured-up from on-hand material, tons of thought and bushels of blue language.

http://www.thewatchsite.com/index.php/topic,1706.msg8043.html#msg8043

Well, boys and girls, success is mine.

The case I ordered from Ramon landed today and I just could not wait for the weekend to chuck the old goner in my lathe and have at it.

The case, to my dismay, had been polished and was actually a bit lopsided which made it a bear to get set-up. I pressed on and got it straight, set the angle of attack and started machining.

Working with cuts of no more than 0.00125mm, forty, or so, minutes passed and here is the result...

[img]

You can see from the deep nicks and corrosion that this case was pretty well shot. But, as always, patience and some effort paid off.

Even though I though I was removing an awful lot of material, the undercut is very slightly more than that of the factory and the bezel fits very nicely.

"Here at East Tech Manufacturing we don't make 'em pretty but we sure do make 'em work."

·
Super Moderator
2,989 Posts
Hi Jonathan,
This is exciting to see! Don't worry, no one who hasn't actually put metal to metal at high rotational speeds will understand what all of this trouble truly entails, and I'm not sure I am entirely cognizant of how your procedure looks in action, but the results really do speak for themselves, and I don't think there is an easier way to get the same factory appearance. BTW, do you think this same setup could be used on the 6105-800x cases (on the top of the lugs)? It seems like mine has a similar factory finish, not as deep as the 6139-7100 was, but definitely concentric machined lines more so than just a satin/brush finish. Not sure if all are like that as I haven't seen more than a handful in person.

It is great to see such focus and patience applied to an area (refinishing) where often times people say "good enough" instead of really appreciating the exact appearance that a watch left the factory with, and striving to achieve that. My eye loupe is off to you!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks, Noah.

I'm fairly certain the 6105-800Xs are done with abrasive material rather than machining. I've had great success using plumber's roll abrasive strips on most jobs for these and the other dive cases.

rileynp said:
Hi Jonathan,
This is exciting to see! Don't worry, no one who hasn't actually put metal to metal at high rotational speeds will understand what all of this trouble truly entails, and I'm not sure I am entirely cognizant of how your procedure looks in action, but the results really do speak for themselves, and I don't think there is an easier way to get the same factory appearance. BTW, do you think this same setup could be used on the 6105-800x cases (on the top of the lugs)? It seems like mine has a similar factory finish, not as deep as the 6139-7100 was, but definitely concentric machined lines more so than just a satin/brush finish. Not sure if all are like that as I haven't seen more than a handful in person.

It is great to see such focus and patience applied to an area (refinishing) where often times people say "good enough" instead of really appreciating the exact appearance that a watch left the factory with, and striving to achieve that. My eye loupe is off to you!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Dave. The hand feed becomes almost second nature as one works. Using a fairly shallow pitch on the feed screw is a help as well.

Dave said:
You hand-fed that? The feed looks so even!

Great work!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Happy to oblige, Saul. You know I love the role of enabler.

sjbrook said:
Geez Jonathan, now YOU'LL have to explain to my wife why I need a 6139-7100 just so I can have you refinish the case!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks, Greg. It only took six and a half years :-[

DoctorC said:
Great job! Not only on the watch case but on figuring it out in the first place. ;)

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, Jeje. I've been doing "SteamPunk" since long before it had a name. This is just an extension of the concept.

Jeje3325 said:
Wow this is really something.

Once again, this is art.
Totally real art.

8)

·
Registered
174 Posts
Awsome job Swede 8) so is it now we all ship our 6309 divers to you so we can get that factory finish ;)

Hope we get to see the final result of the whole watch here :) oh didnt see the link! Nice work

1 - 20 of 30 Posts