The Watch Site banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)

So here's an odd fish! A very original looking 1980 6309-7049 with what looks to be an earlier 7040 dial (or a very original looking 6309-7040 with what looks to be a later 7049 caseback). [Edit: turns out I was totally wrong on this! See below.]

Bought this off a seller who told me he was given it by his father, who bought the watch new at Leeds jewellers in Florida around September of 1980. His father was in a serious motorcycle accident in the mid-80s which broke the crystal, which was replaced at that time, and the watch was stored in '91 with no further servicing.

Now obviously I just have his word for all the above, but apart from the fact that he seems totally straight-up, the seller gave me a fair price, has offered a no quibble refund, and only told me any of the above after I had already bought the watch, so I'm very much inclined to believe him.

Were any 7049s made with the pictured dial? My only other theory is that the dial was replaced with the crystal, but why a US jeweller would be using a deep bevelled 7040 suwa dial, and furthermore not tell the client about the replacement I have no idea! Any theories? (It seems way too nice and unrefinished to be a puppy-mill watch, BTW - I should know as I started my collection with a couple, since departed!)

·
Special Member
4,576 Posts
Very nice 6309-7049 and imho there's nothing wrong with its dial. Here's my (long gone) March '81 Seiko 6309-7049

and I used to have two more 6309-7049's both made in August '78 and they all came with "JAPAN" marked case back and SUWA dial. AFAIK Seiko changed the dials (and case back's) from SUWA to NON-SUWA or HONG KONG dials in late 1981 or even later. Those NON-SUWA dials also came with the case back without the "JAPAN" inscription but with a "A" marked case back. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong...

·
Registered
192 Posts
This is a very good looking 6309-7049 from 1980, by the way , nothing is wrong with the dial or the case back !

Sent from my Iphone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
33,753 Posts
IMO thats a beauty and I would be more than happy to have it :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I stand corrected by several people with greater knowledge than myself! My other 7049s all have the longer dial text so I assumed it was like the J/K models nowadays with different dial inscriptions (as an aside, I think I am the only person who prefers the K dials!). I realise now that it's the non suwas which have different text, and this just predates that. Thanks for clearing that up!

P.S. I love getting to hear the story of a watch (though there is some sadness in this particular backstory) - one of the benefits of not going through a dealer!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
33,753 Posts
I stand corrected by several people with greater knowledge than myself! My other 7049s all have the longer dial text so I assumed it was like the J/K models nowadays with different dial inscriptions (as an aside, I think I am the only person who prefers the K dials!). I realise now that it's the non suwas which have different text, and this just predates that. Thanks for clearing that up!

P.S. I love getting to hear the story of a watch (though there is some sadness in this particular backstory) - one of the benefits of not going through a dealer!

I really dislike the Hong-Kong dial text and IMO it ruins the dial for me, how stupid is that !!!? :(

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I really dislike the Hong-Kong dial text and IMO it ruins the dial for me, how stupid is that !!!? :(

Well it's no secret that this hobby appeals to slightly obsessive folks! I feel the same about the jewel count and extra text round the bottom of JDM 007s, despite their slightly greater value...

I sort of have to like the Hong-Dialled 7049s because that's how they were in my birth year but my absolute favourite watch in my collection is a birth-year 7040 in similar condition to the above watch which I never got round to posting, but will now as a thanks to you all for helping out. I miss the deeper beveled window and suwa symbol, but the date of manufacture makes up for it. Pics when I get to my computer!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Here we are:

If I could only keep one watch this would be it - my favourite diver from my birth year. Wrong month but it'll have to do! I think I might have been avoiding posting it for fear someone will point out it isn't all original and my sentimental attachment to it will be ruined, but go for it if you spot anything (see if I care, *sob*!)...

P.S. Those are fat end spring-bars!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts