The Watch Site banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day a friend of mine was telling me he thought that my yellow faced PROMASTER NY0040-25Y ) (yellow face) was rare -He said that you can't find them or purchase - because they only made a small amount and it's been discontinued. Is this true?

Watch Analog watch Arm Gesture Clock
Watch Table Computer keyboard Analog watch Input device

·
Registered
29,634 Posts
It's rare if you say it is.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Im being serious too. look at the bezel insert it's different than most and mine came with the black strap. not yellow. It's off for some reason - I was hoping someone would know.

·
Registered
29,634 Posts
Well, It's not rare, Not too many watches are.

·
Special Member & Premium Member
1,352 Posts
"Modern" production runs are normally quite large, but a run of yellow face's would be a lot smaller than normal, However Citizen still would have to manufacture quite a few to get a decent return on their investment.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Citizen still would have to manufacture quite a few to get a decent return on their investment"
My buddy was trying to purchase one - said he'd been looking for months - and someone told him that it was a limited amount made -

I don't know anything about it.

but as far as — "Citizen still would have to manufacture quite a few to get a decent return on their investment" — That's that Im thinking.
Or maybe Citzen thought they would sell but.. they didn't - didn't so they stopped making them?

I was hoping someone knew. just for my my own knowledge. ya know.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's rare if you say it is.
I don't think it's rare. just not a lot still around or something?

I wear the heck out of it. - I love the bezel on it. And the fact that it's left hand - kinda neat.

I have a few of the CITIZEN divers. This one is just way different.

·
Special Member
16,609 Posts
a lot of watches are less common than others, maybe not seen as much as others and harder to find for whatever reason. As DAHASCO said, not many watches are rare. The yellow dial could be hard to find for any number of reasons. Personally, I think it's a good looking watch.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
a lot of watches are less common than others, maybe not seen as much as others and harder to find for whatever reason. As DAHASCO said, not many watches are rare. The yellow dial could be hard to find for any number of reasons. Personally, I think it's a good looking watch.
Me too.

·
Registered
29,634 Posts
It's a nice watch, No doubt, I love my Citizen Watches. But it's still not rare as per your OP.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Saw your post on WUS (mods, please erase comment if posting another forum is prohibited).

I have not seen this model very much online. In my books it's rare (even though it was probably made in vast numbers).

·
Special Member
927 Posts
Whats op?
"original post"
My 2 cents is that "rare" when used to describe a production watch is a bit of a misnomer, they made thousands and thousands of them. You find very few for sale since they are long out of production. I think the reason you see more SKXa35s for sale is there are more collectors in the market for them and consequently they are of a higher value and therefore get flipped more. Rarity does not always equal more value, a good example is the 9401/0 lolipop Tudor Submariner, only in production for one year and yet it lags in value when compared to the more common snowflake versions, and it does not even bring a premium over the most common mercedes handed versions. Go figure!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
"original post"
My 2 cents is that "rare" when used to describe a production watch is a bit of a misnomer, they made thousands and thousands of them. You find very few for sale since they are long out of production. I think the reason you see more SKXa35s for sale is there are more collectors in the market for them and consequently they are of a higher value and therefore get flipped more. Rarity does not always equal more value, a good example is the 9401/0 lolipop Tudor Submariner, only in production for one year and yet it lags in value when compared to the more common snowflake versions, and it does not even bring a premium over the most common mercedes handed versions. Go figure!
I agree.

Maybe I should have used a different word or synonym for 'rare' - or better yet, with considertion to my lack of knowledge, perhaps i should have not used the word at all.

Because the word rare can be be used a few different ways.

I wasn't referring to the watch as being a 'rare or limited or sparse production run'.

I was, more so, referring to the fact that (after a small search) as being a 'rare or limited or sparse watch to find'.

I do have a question - you say above that they made thousands and thousands of them.

Is that an equivalent to the number of other watches manufactured in the same line? Such as NY0040-09E, NY0040-09W, NY0040-09L, etc, etc..?

And the reason I ask, it seems that a with a simple search one can locate other NY0040's with ease. I dont understand, it seems rarer to find an NY0040-09Y (and in any condition)- if you do one, you might consider yourself fortunate. but its not rare? Hmmm..

·
Registered
8 Posts
How about, uncommon? I've owned a few of the NY series in the past. Never a yellow dial version. Did have a Seiko yellow diver. Enjoy wearing it? My goal is, every once in awhile, I glance at the watch I'm wearing, and it brings a smile to my face. Success

·
Registered
420 Posts
It's quite rare. Hard to find it in a decent condition (never saw new one anywhere) and prices are 3 or 4 times more then "regular" black or dark blue.

My favourite watch and the only keeper.

·
Special Member
3,136 Posts
They are beautiful watches. Not exactly “rare” but more or less uncommon or scarce. Citizen did a limited run of different dial colors back in the early 2000’s. They did the yellow, blue, full lume and I even recall a white dial as well. They were quite popular among collectors back in the day. They seemed to fade away rather quickly. I briefly had a yellow dialed one but it was stolen soon after I acquired it along with most of my watch collection. I’m not 100% sure but I think that they were mostly a JDM run. I also had a two toned one and the full lume version. They were great watches. I didn’t have mine long enough but I think I probably would have grown tired of it quickly and probably would have ended up flipping it. The one that would have been nice to see would have been an orange dialed version. But Citizen never released one. Back when I had mine you could have picked them up rather reasonably from the ‘bay. Nowadays you have to search high and low to find one and pay the price they command. I guess that’s the same with anything. Again it’s a beautiful watch. Enjoy!
Cheers!
Mike

1 - 18 of 18 Posts