The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a strange problem with my Bernhardt Binnacle. When I wear it while working at my computer, it keeps nearly perfect time. However, if I wear it while teaching or going for a fast walk, then it really gains time. For example, after a one hour walk yesterday, it had gained 45 seconds. Does anyone know what the problem is likely to be?

Simon

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
My initial guess would be that the watch is horizontal while typing at the computer, vertical when walking - and that the diagnosis will need to consider this. Instinctively I would be wondering of the balance jewels or shockproofing had been jarred and had shifted. Horizontally the resistance on the balance would be normal, vertically, gravity would press the spindle against the misaligned jewel, reducing the amplitude of the balance leading to faster running. Again, this is just my guess - with Ken on the case you have an expert doing the diagnosis!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In fact, I do very little writing when I'm at the computer ... mostly I am just thinking so the watch spends as much time with the crown up. But the crown is mostly down when I'm walking. Would there be a difference between crown up and crown down?

I'll try storing it with the crown down overnight and see whether it gains.

Many thanks!
Simon

·
Registered
964 Posts
Whatever it is, it's without the normal positional variation. I would tend to agree with Harry, that there is a major problem with the balance axle or its bearings. The only other thing I could imagaine is, that the watch is running on a too big amplitude. This might be ok in static moments, but when dynamic takes affect the ballance could bounce and run fast.
But to be honest, I never experienced something like you describe. Normally gainning 45s per hour is caused by a messed up or magnetised hair spring - but that would not explain the watch running o.k. during your computer work. ::)

Cheers,

Axel

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
An update: the watch gained 5 seconds overnight in the crown down position. So it seems that it is motion that causes it to suddenly speed up.

Simon

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
So, how fast do you walk? If you approach the speed of light, well....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Fast enough so that other people complain ... but I thought that time slows down as you approach the speed of light?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dear Ken,
My earlier answer to your question was essentially just a guess. Today I went for a walk in the currently disgusting 90 degrees heat of New Jersey. After an hour, the watch had gained approx 30 seconds. But then it got back to essentially perfect time immediately after the walk. So it seems to be the motion that is causing the problem. Any idea what the problem might be?
All the best,
Simon

·
Registered
77 Posts
Simon,
My guess would be the hairspring is out of round and one or more of the coils touch when the watch is in motion.

Ken

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dear Ken,
Thanks very much! Would this be a major/expensive repair or would it be something that a local watchmaker could easily deal with? (Sorry if this is a naive question.)
All the best,
Simon

1 - 14 of 14 Posts