The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past 4 months, I have been blessed enough to purchase 3 amazing vintage Seiko watches. I am in the United States Air Force and stationed in Tokyo. With a fascination for Japanese cars as well as Japanese watches, this really is an amazing assignment. One of my favorite things to do in Tokyo is to visit a chain of second-hand stores called Hard-Off. The Japanese take incredible care of their things, so second-hand stores are full of very high quality items. A few months ago, I found a Hard-Off with an amazing selection of high-end watches from Rolex, Omega, Breitling, Seiko, and Citizen. I started making weekly trips there to hunt for some good buys.
The first purchase I made was a King Seiko 5626-7000 from September 1969. It's in fantastic condition for it's age, and appears to be all original! Best of all, it still keeps time +4 seconds/day! Amazing for a 45 year-old watch. It's currently on a dark brown leather strap, but I also wear it on a two-tone bracelet sometimes.
The next watch I couldn't live without was a Grand Quartz 9943-8040 from June 1978. The face is fascinating and shimmers in the light. It came on the original bracelet, but was too small for me. As such, I now wear it on a black leather strap. However, my wife liked the watch so much that I was able to find an identical one for her on Yahoo Auctions, and she wears it perfectly on the original bracelet. Her Grand Quartz was also made in June 1978. The watch is in very good condition, but I'm afraid the thermo-compensation no longer works. Regardless, it's an amazing watch.
The final watch in my vintage Seiko trilogy is a 7548-7010 from November 1982 (my birth year!). It is all original, including the GL83122 strap. This diver wears so perfectly on my big wrist. It's rugged and purposeful.
I'm very pleased with my collection of vintage Seiko watches. I feel that these 3 represent significant milestones in Seiko history. The 56KS was built at Suwa just 3 months before that same factory produced the world's first quartz watch. The Grand Quartz was Seiko's first Twin Quartz movement and was accurate to within +/- 10 seconds/year when new. The 7548, while not necessarily rare, is part of Seiko's long line of high quality divers, and it's from my birth year.
Thanks for reading. I'm always open for criticisms, critiques, or suggestions to add to my collection.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
psychobooe-

I certainly don't see anything here to be critical about, in fact I am quite jealous of your opportunity to go on this "treasure hunt" of sorts. It is one thing to find a piece you are interested in and yet quite another to find it for a reasonable enough price to make it yours. I am so happy for you that you were able to find 3 such positive outcomes ! Are these "trade-ins" and do these "Hard-Off" stores operate online or are they oldschool sales outlet stores that sell locally ? Either way I am sure you will never forget these stores and you will visit them a often as your wallet will allow while you are in the area ! If you are still in the area, pictures of the shop, (if acceptable) would be interesting to see. Great finds indeed !

·
Registered
302 Posts
Nice watches!

I got my first Seiko when I was in the USAF... back in mid '60s. It was a 6117-6010 World Time model.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks guys! My wife loved the Grand Quartz so much, that I found a matching one for her. Her's still has the original bracelet, making it pretty rare, I think.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts