The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I restored this myself and decided to have a crystal case back made for it 30mm with a 29mm viewing area (not that easy) and then decided to get the back plate and some of the screws blacked up - not sure of the terminology zinc passivate I think.

Here's my results, I think it's unique and I can always change it back to the original parts

I love it :)

·
Super Moderator
3,039 Posts
That's really cool! I like the thoughtfulness of the movement modifications to tie-in with the case/bracelet aesthetics. You have something there to be proud of, thanks for sharing!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thank you Noah R.
I can also reverse this combination but I like this version best, I thoroughly enjoyed working on this one I love the 28's & 38's and think they are a very undervalued watch. Great looking, historic movement, easy to service (apart from the gears under the train wheel bridge which need a little patience) parts are still pretty much readily available and are the best timekeepers I know. For a 30yr old watch I think that's about as good as it gets

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Nice work. Very nice indeed. Love the simple black and white colour scheme, and the mods work really well with it. I have really got to get a 7A28, great movement as you say, got my heart set on a 7120 though and they're definitely not undervalued.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks feca 67, yes I know what you mean, they are silly prices now and I would like to own one also but I cannot justify the expense, I'll have to start scrattin around car boots maybe get lucky. I'm in the process of restoring another one of these but I do not have a full original bracelet.

I shall post pics when I have finished it I think it would still look great on a distressed leather either light brown or grey, just haven't seen the right one yet.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Love the glass rear case mod. I always loved them on the Seiko 5 models with the 7S26 movements and it looks just as good on the 7A28. Very Nice!

Michael

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you Michael, It was just for a bit of fun really and I used an old case back from my spare parts drawer so I can change it back to all the original parts if I ever come to sell it. It's a shame it's just stuck on your wrist though.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Thank you Michael, It was just for a bit of fun really and I used an old case back from my spare parts drawer so I can change it back to all the original parts if I ever come to sell it. It's a shame it's just stuck on your wrist though.
Yeah but when I wear my Seiko 5 with the glass back cover I actually take the watch off to show it off. It really impresses some people who are not serious watch collectors when they can see what is inside the watch.

Michael

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Supermoto-

What an awesome idea and surely an exhibition back that will show a different movement than you would expect to see.

I do have one question for you if you don't mind. Have you pressure tested it to see if it still passes the 100m mark the original watch was prepared with ?

Awesome job and super cool looking, wear it and share it with pride ! Jim

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No way Jim this is strictly just for fun, the case back crystal is 29.1mm and just slots in, no gasket fitted. I would not take any of the 7a series near water even with brand new gaskets all round the crowns are not screw downs and the pushers would leak in my opinion. I am quite chuffed with how it's turned out and I'm glad you like it

·
Registered
235 Posts
S- A very unique chronometer-and I like the view back case cover you assembled.Nice work. The 7A28/7A38 is a very highly sought after model Seiko. I wonder if Seiko ever brings out another model very much like this one-imop it would be very popular. Wear that lovely with good luck always!-
Eli Forseiko-

·
Registered
6,383 Posts
very cool mod...well done..

1 - 14 of 14 Posts