The Watch Site banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As mentioned in my 6309 thread I have recently acquired a couple of vintage seikos from my father, one being the 6139-6000.I cleaned it up and it looks great..

Please see the pictures, it's a 'water proof' version with a nick cut out above the crown,everything looks original and from my research is in extremely good condition for this watch being so old. I have searched the serial number online and the date of production is May 1969.

My question is it looks like it has the tapered bracelet which was not used until post 1973 but my father is certain he purchased it from a jeweller originally. Would the jeweller have put a later bracelet on the watch and sold it years after the date of production? Is that actually a tapered bracelet? I think it maybe possible my father got it second hand years later as well.

Any feedback would be much appreciated and please let me know if it's as rare, original and in good condition as I think, thank you :)

Attachments

·
Administrator
33,842 Posts
Looks VERY VERY nice :)

·
Registered
912 Posts
Oh you lucky lucky guy.
Welcome!

That's a nice proof/proof. Notched case, 2 part second hand, the correct NOT tapered bracelet (I'll do you a side by side pic in a moment).

Take great care of that and wear it well. Don't take it to a jeweller!!

Kind regards,
Tom

·
Administrator
33,842 Posts
Err, just ignore this
Like you Tom i dident think it was tapered in the first pictures but then the last picture made it look tapered :) (but it still looks like a straight one to me).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
:grin:

Excellent, the responses confirm my belief that I have a little gem on my hands!

Can it be confirmed its NOT a tapered bracelet? (as it DOES seem to slightly taper) Can post another pic if needed

·
Registered
912 Posts
Err, just ignore this
Like you Tom i dident think it was tapered in the first pictures but then the last picture made it look tapered
(but it still looks like a straight one to me).
Hahah I though some one would catch me out there!
Yes from the first pictures it looked straight but after I replied I checked the second from last pic and changed my mind.....then changed my mind again!
It's is straight isn't it!

·
Registered
912 Posts

Excellent, the responses confirm my belief that I have a little gem on my hands!

Can it be confirmed its NOT a tapered bracelet? (as it DOES seem to slightly taper) Can post another pic if needed
The taper would take the width to the same as the case....
....the straight bracelet has the same width as the gap between lugs, if that helps!?

T

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oh you lucky lucky guy.
Welcome!

That's a nice proof/proof. Notched case, 2 part second hand, the correct NOT tapered bracelet (I'll do you a side by side pic in a moment).

Take great care of that and wear it well. Don't take it to a jeweller!!

Kind regards,
Tom
Is that because you wouldn't trust them with the movement? Sounds like
if I wanted it looked at I think it's best to maybe find someone who has had experience with this model..

·
Registered
523 Posts
Very nice 6139! And a very early production date too! Once again, I would wear this for a few days and see how it is keeping time. I'd then find someone recommended and get it serviced with new gaskets. Then I'd wear it for a little while then sock it away! A great start to your Seiko collection.

Congrats!

Dan

·
Craftsman
4,028 Posts
That is a Beauty on it's original bracelet. Enjoy it!

Here's one of my blue dial Proofs.....

I have yet to find a yellow dial Proof worth showing off.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow that is also a beauty SeikoPsycho!

As mentioned it was passed over to me by my father who I have only found out recently collected watches. My love of watches has started developing over the past couple of years so I now know where it comes from!

I can see my seiko obsession developing and I think I may be on the look out for a blue-dial 'pepsi' original next to go with this one :)

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
WOW, you guys I am so HAPPY and I mean HAPPY that the 6139-6000 to 6012 is so well represented on this board. I never really realized how collectable they were until recently. I have only 1. It is a 6139-6005 that I bought new in 1972. I was just a kid with a new dishwashing job at a local restaurant and EVERY day I walked home after work I stared through the window of a nearby jewelry store and there they were, staring back at me, 2 of the most beautiful watches I had ever seen, a blue faced and a yellow faced Seiko Chronometer. I had to have one ! No question about it, it was all about dollars and cents from then on.

The day finally came when I took the grail 6139-6005 blue faced Pepsi Chrono home with me and I have it to this day ! A little worse for the wear of course and as I look back I am amazed that the crown missing and a piece of lume missing from the minute hand are the worst of its problems !!! Now I just need a service and a good freshening up, maybe a gasket set ?

Every day I read these posts I grow more confident that my grail watch will soon be in its rightful spot on my left wrist where it belongs.

A HUGE Thank you to all of you Seiko 6139 lovers out there, I truly feel a part of a big family of "likeminded friends and acquaintances" with a passion for the art and technology of these little gems, whatever their condition may be. Share your experiences, journeys, trials and successes ! I for one, will read every single post I can get my hands on ! Jim

1 - 20 of 21 Posts