The Watch Site banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking for one for quite some time and thanks to Jim (poywatch) (plus actually Thian who 'connected' us) I am now the happy owner of a SBQL001 (in close to 95% condition) about two weeks ahead of my birthday so I am really happy

First timing data very late on Sunday or Monday [img]

Obligatory hairy-wrist picture (which actually does NOT do justice to the watch, which is looking a LOT better in reality and the 'creamy' dial is lovely - once the very hot months will be over I will also try to check how it looks on a nice strap) :

[img]http://caranfil.org/tz/R0019229c.jpg

·
Registered
534 Posts
Yes, wow! great scoop from Poyman! That is the 8F33? +-10secs/year! Love that rectangular cyclops! You going to collect all the 8xxx models now! haha! Am going to send my Dolce (8N41 caliber) to Moleman in NZealand for testing some time in the near future.... ;D

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thianwong said:
That is the 8F33? +-10secs/year
The specification is saying +- 20s/y but I am VERY curious how that holds - it was made in JP around October 2002 and another 8F33 that I have US-made around 2000 did not hold the accuracy too well ...

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Are these still being made. How about solid end links?

Like it for the most part with the exception of the cyclops over the day/date.

·
Registered
12,319 Posts
what is the size w/o crown?
Is it 36mm?
Looks very small, but at the same time beautiful. I do like the newer ones without the cyclops better.

·
Banned
2,919 Posts
Around 37mm with the crown. Of all 8F32s Seikos, this one I like the best.....

The SBQK083

[img]

Notice the sweet bracelet with solid end links and what appears to be drilled lugs on the case. Really nice piece. Size is about the same at 36mm without the crown.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
minidriver said:
The Seiko SBQL007 appears to be the current version of your 8F33 watch. I like the fact the current model is devoid of the cyclops. But Seiko continues to take the cheapo approach by not adding proper bracelet solid end links. There is no excuse for a sub USD $300 watch not to have them.
Well, for both SBQL001 and SBCM023 the actual part where all the force goes to the springbars is the solid part of the normal link, while the part that is referred to (by people that don't actually know better) as 'folded end link' is just a cosmetic part where no perpendicular tension goes and where the entire design is very effective in avoiding 'rattling', most likely more effective than a solid cosmetic part without the two small 'elastic extensions' which can be seen on the back of the watch ...

On both watches the weakest mechanical link on the bracelet are the springbars and after that the split pins - but that should be taken in the sense that those are the parts that might fail first when something like half of a ton is pulling on the bracelet - which generally will be a huge lot more damaging to your skin/hand !!!

G

·
Too bad they don't make them (SBQL001) any more. It's such a classy-looking watch. Reminds me of a ....................................................... Grand Seiko.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
grailwatch said:
Too bad they don't make them (SBQL001) any more. It's such a classy-looking watch. Reminds me of a ....................................................... Grand Seiko.
Which perfectly explains why they no longer make those - if you sell two classes of watches looking close enough one around 300$ and the other around 3000$ (and the extra quality in the 3000$ is not so immediately obvious to the naked eye while the 300$ version actually has a perpetual calendar as a bonus) you are bound to see sales rather going to the 300$ ... so as a result the current SBQL007/9 versions are nowhere as close-looking to the GS ;)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts