The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Orbit around my wrist! Found a nice 6139 at an NAWCC show and decided to have it serviced. Picked it up this weekend after a nice COA and it's running great. Chronograph and day/date functions are very snappy. He polished the case (too much), which I didn't really want, but it doesn't bother me that much. Overall, I'm happy with the work. Got a new acrylic crystal per my request (I don't like Hardlex), but I kept the (original?) crystal and will try to polish it up at some point.

So, here are the current pictures. I'll try to add some "before" pictures for comparison.

Attachments

·
Registered
523 Posts
Very nice - now get out there and get it noticed!! Enjoy - they are a thing to behold all cleaned up and serviced, running properly.

Dan

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
The dial/hands/rotating indicator/tachy insert are super nice on this watch, they look really sharp but the guy that polished the case should get a boot up the jacksie:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
The dial/hands/rotating indicator/tachy insert are super nice on this watch, they look really sharp but the guy that polished the case should get a boot up the jacksie:biggrin:
I agree. The yellow shows almost no fading. Outstanding example, wear it in good health.

·
Registered
542 Posts
Nice watch indeed but it really deserves to be brought back closer to the original finishing IMHO.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks gang. I'll probably give the case a brush at some point. The dial, bezel, hands are really outstanding on this 37 year old watch. I can only guess it was worn a while and then wound up in a drawer. The original crystal (which I kept) was pretty beat up, and the case showed a little wear (but no corrosion at all).

To me, it's amazing that you can find this piece of horological history for just a couple of bills. It's hard to time without a second hand (and I'm not really an accuracy freak anyway), but it seems like it gained about 20-130 seconds in a couple of days, which is fine by me. I suspect it could be better, but why bother? It goes into the regular rotation and probably won't live on a winder, so I'll be setting it regularly anyway.

As for the case polishing, I don't hold any ill will with my watchmaker. He doesn't restore, he takes broken watches and fixes them. He did know not to mess with the dial, hands and bezel, but I didn't tell him to not polish the case. He knew I was going to wear it, and to his way of thinking, he was making it look nice for me. Next time, I'll be more explicit. To me, not a big killer, though I suspect it will affect collector's value should I ever sell it.

Now, to find a nice Bullhead and a nice Bellmatic. And to think, I was trying to pare down my collection....

·
Registered
3,679 Posts
Nice example of an original 6139-600x. Personally, I'd have to restore the brushed finish on the top of the case surface like others have mentioned.

Easy to time, just keep the chrono running.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Beautiful restoration! Enjoy it in good health! I'll add my 2-cents' worth and say it shouldn't be too hard to restore a brushed finish to the top of the case. Also, you might consider letting the chrono run continuously when the watch is running. Some consider it's best for the watch to do this. One fringe benefit of doing this is that it effectively gives you a running second hand.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I always leave the chrono running. It's just not the same without a running second hand - I ditched a quartz chrono for this very reason. Given my 6139s are worn in rotation, any additional wear shouldn't be a problem. My blue dial is on my wrist today. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1411690293.800487.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts