The Watch Site banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Following on from Mr TPG's thread, coincidentally I've also received a silver dialled 6139-6002 in the post today. :)

It seems to be in pretty good shape, all the cosmetic parts are in good order and it comes on the proper Stelux solid link president type bracelet with signed clasp.

All the functions work as they should and the inner bezel rotates nicely. The only niggle is the day quickset needs quite a shove on the crown to get it to advance but I'll be servicing it when I get a chance so it will be sorted out then.

There's one or two scratches on the crystal but I'm not sure whether to drop in a NOS replacement when I service it or leave the original in. I'm leaning towards leaving it.

·
Administrator
33,861 Posts
That looks really really nice Duncan, never had one yet.

Replace the crystal is my vote :)

·
Craftsman
4,031 Posts
That's A Beauty! I'm really surprised Larry decided to part with it.

I think I'd keep the crystal if it's only showing a small scratch or two. A new crystal may only be scratch free for a shot time.

·
Registered
205 Posts
So *thats* what they're meant to look like... Way to show me up Duncan! ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
912 Posts
Now that's nice! What a way to Pi** on poor Mr. TPG!

I think I'd keep the crystal if it's only showing a small scratch or two. A new crystal may only be scratch free for a shot time.
Very sound advice from Tom surely!
Duncan do you polish your crystals? If you decide to put a new one in how about sending me that one and i'll polish it off and throw it back out to an SCWF member in need? Same goes to anyone else that replaces rather than polishes (Tiger must have a few!)

The only niggle is the day quickset needs quite a shove on the crown to get it to advance but I'll be servicing it when I get a chance so it will be sorted out then.
From all the crud we can see Larry didn't clean off between crystal and bezel I'd reckon that is just a build up of it under the stem...

Ah man, so jealous of you and Mr. TPG. Except I'm hoping to get my Tokei Zara tomorrow so....

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Nice and another silver on a Stelux bracelet! Only ever seen them on the Stelux in silver. Mine had a real scratched up crystal but at the end of the day after it's polished it looks 100% and it's original to the watch :) Just to note I had a lot of trouble getting a NOS genuine crystal for another watch about 2 or 3 weeks ago...

Out of all my Pogues my silver is my favourite :)

·
Administrator
33,861 Posts
Now that's nice! What a way to Pi** on poor Mr. TPG!

Very sound advice from Tom surely!
Duncan do you polish your crystals? If you decide to put a new one in how about sending me that one and i'll polish it off and throw it back out to an SCWF member in need? Same goes to anyone else that replaces rather than polishes (Tiger must have a few!)

From all the crud we can see Larry didn't clean off between crystal and bezel I'd reckon that is just a build up of it under the stem...

Ah man, so jealous of you and Mr. TPG. Except I'm hoping to get my Tokei Zara tomorrow so....
I have a small box full of them,I keep meaning to take them to a guy to have them polished.

I have seen some good polish jobs and I have owned some but IMO you can tell they have been polished and if possible I always prefer a NOS replacement.

I think acrylics are a different kettle of fish all together, they polish up and on many you can not tell at all.

IMO a replacement crystal is so "cheap" and can change a watches appearance totally.

In order of importance as far as I am concerned:
  1. Dial
  2. Hands
  3. Insert
  4. Crystal.

Everything else as a rule can be sorted.

If at all possible I want the watch on my wrist to look good and I want to be proud to wear it.

I have said it before but I have just never bought into this BS that every dink, dunk, crap tells a story :) in the vast majority of cases it just makes a watch look "crap".

Obviously the above points are just my thoughts and everyone has there own ideas :)

·
Administrator
33,861 Posts
Jeeeeeeeze !!!!!!!! Thats a beauty Duncan, good call with the crystal :)

·
Registered
1,127 Posts
Ah man you've ruined it with that horrid new crystal... it looks so naff... I think as punishment you should flog it to me to remind yourself not to do that sort of stunt again.......

Ah crap looks the dogs :) Love a shiny new crystal myself.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Fantastic! perhaps the model that I like best of the three ...

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.