The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Took a punt on a tatty looking 6139-6002 because I like the silver dial the best and it appeared to be all original. Here is what I discovered once I got my hands on it...

The Good:
Pretty sure all original and never refinished
Basically running
Both chrono hands work and appear to keep good time and reset to zero

The Bad:
QS day/date does not work - crown stays fully pushed in with no effect
Inner rotating bezel/indicator ring does not rotate with crown
Movement stops and starts - when it stops using chono starts it running again, and if chrono is left on it runs continuously and keeps excellent time
Rust visible on movement tension spring and one screw of movement (see pictures)

The Ugly:
Nasty lume
Faded indicator ring

Apologies for bad phone pictures:

So what do I do. I know there is at least one member on here known for excellent work on 6139s but I'm wary of throwing good after bad and wonder if it might be more cost effective to cut my losses and get one which works in the first place, keeping this as a sort of non working sample, or a usable beater with a permanently running chrono!

Thoughts?

·
Registered
5,021 Posts
Looks like a very good base for a makeover ! Keep it !!

·
Craftsman
3,713 Posts
It's a tough call but if you're a bit handy the watch stopping when the chrono is stopped may be due to loose screws on the chrono bridge.

The quick set day + date issue may be due to grunge build up under the crown or dirt in the crown area.

The crown staying depressed may be due to a Hardened crown gasket.

the non turning inner bezel may be due to a missing stem gear or because its not lining up correctly due to the sticking crown.

I'd pop the crown out and have a look to see what you have. Remove the winding mechanism and check the chrono bridge screws and then make your decision.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
if you're a bit handy

I'm not gonna lie SeikoPsycho2, what you described does sound rather beyond me!

I've regulated movements and changed dials and hands, but would be nervous to do anything more, especially on a chrono movement.

Interested that no one has told me to set fire to it and run screaming based on that one rusty screw/pin on the movement (between the crown and higher pusher in the first photo). I figured the rusty retention spring was no biggie but thought rust on the movement might be a death sentence. Is this not necessarily the case?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Craftsman
3,713 Posts
The general health of the movement looks good regarding rust. One small spot is not a major issue but may indicate there may be other areas of rust not in plain view. The case ring spring also shows rust and will need to be replaced.

·
Special Member
1,814 Posts
I'd sell the watch for a totally different reason. in my eyes, a dial is 90-95% of any watch. if the dial is bad, the watch grade is lowered right off the bat. this particular watch's dial has got some bad lume and that can only be fixed via a relume; there is no other recourse if you want indices that appear in it's normal color (white or off white). relume kills originality and is a deal killer for me. if that is of no concern for you, then no problem, I'd fix.

there are plenty of these in fairly great, original condition though =)

<* shark >>><

·
Registered
912 Posts
Well that was firmly in my sights right up to the point I nodded off!
Great stuff, an absolute bargain and well done for throwing away the random ill fitting bracelet (why do people insist on putting things on that are clearly wrong!)

I am sorry but you absolutely have to get that restored, I'd say else ill have to kick you, but being only 5'7" and a bit of a girl I might have ask clockbloke to do it instead :)

That dial is lovely, it can be re-lumed to look beautiful again if you wanted a mint version. But also, luckily maybe for you the lume has gone a really nice even colour which many would be very happy with I'm sure, especially as the hands match.

The movement as others have said should be simple enough to fix and will be perfect from a strip and service.
As Tom said it is worth doing the those two things: (taking off and replacing hands is a harder and much riskier task than these...)
Take the stem out and check for crap. On the 6139 you have little to worry about in doing this. In a 6138 it is easy enough to get it all in mess such that it does not go back in. If you are lucky the stem is correct with the spring and the cog and has just got stuck together. Clean and lubricate and you might be on to a winner.
Take the rotor off with the first screw, then the bearing bridge with the next two. Catch the pawl lever and remove the transmission cog. Now you can check a bit better what it is doing. I wonder if the centre jewel has pushed out and not applying enough force to the chrono clutch, or something similar.
(The pawl lever can be a pest to put back in... I can show you how to do that.)

The rusted stud can be taken out and a replacement staked back in.

Stefan might be able to sell you a new movement tension ring, but I really see little point if it is still doing its job.

Perfect sweep and minute recorder hands. Nice that they aren't aftermarket.

The inner bezel is still good and might relish in a little restore too. Clockblock again maybe will link back to his thread on that if you are interested. I'm yet to try it but I surely will.....(I promise Andy).

As you can tell, wish I got that one, but darn chuffed it went to an SCWFer.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Ah go with whatever Tom says to do and I'll kick it if needed. I'll say this though.... I nearly brought it and I already have one! It's a resist dial man only one away from proofection! Mine was a bit of a trog when I first got it but now she's creamy and I've done the lume since this photo and no matter what folk say I can't tell it's been re-done. At the end of the day it's 40 years old + Love it, kiss it and play with it! and when your finished with that show the watch some respect too!

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, having got the Hickman and Clockbloke jealousy seals of approval I feel a lot better. Honestly felt like I might have been a right idiot after collecting it and realising in addition to the QS and inner bezel problems I'd noticed while looking it over, it also kept stopping! Thought I might have bought a total lemon so very pleased to see it is probably fixable.

Fingers crossed it will be on it's way to the spa before too long, but plan to keep the cosmetics mostly as is other than the crystal scratches.

Oh, and I'm 5'7" too, *and* I sometimes need to make an extra strap hole for my skinny wrists, so I'm glad neither of you will need to kick me!

Finally, I have to admit I'm not much of a bracelet guy and I really like the examples of these I've seen on brown perforated leather. If enough of you accuse me of heresy for the thought I might try and source a stelux...

Also, thanks to all for their detailed walkthroughs - the knowledge and generosity on display never ceases to amaze me!

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm firmly with the Tom and Tone on this one!
I had that one in my sights too but forgot to put a bid in!
I would say you got a bargain there - granted it needs a bit of work including the aforementioned relume - but with a small amount of TLC you will have a lovely watch there - get it sorted and get it on your wrist!

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Get it off to Spencer. He can do a good relume and most likely has a spare rotating ring and perhaps a stem gear...rare and probably why yours doesn't turn. Get it sorted....it will be a great piece!

·
Special Member
6,485 Posts
Let me play the devil's advocate on this one: This can easily become a $200 sort/service/repair bill. Add that to what you're into it now, and ask yourself will that be something you can live with. If so, off to Spencer or any competent vintage watchmaker. If not, flip it.

This one will be a really nice one once restored.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Let me play the devil's advocate on this one: This can easily become a $200 sort/service/repair bill. Add that to what you're into it now, and ask yourself will that be something you can live with. If so, off to Spencer or any competent vintage watchmaker. If not, flip it.

This one will be a really nice one once restored.
Mr TPG is in the UK so there are a few options to send the watch too closer and I think 2 of the 3 that come straight to mind are already participating in this thread ;)

I'm a newbie and I'd have no issues other than removing and refitting the hands to restore that watches looks. I'd likely do the dial with the hands in place. If the movement needed a service that would be a different matter. It's all down to the skillsets you've picked up through work and life.

·
Administrator
30,660 Posts
Having followed this thread with interest (I like the Silver dial model as well :) ) here's my twopence for what it's worth.

If you want an ugly beater just wear it as is :(

but if you want a quality Silver dial 6139 on your wrist that you can be proud of then the route i would take would be,
  • New crystal.
  • Better inner ring.
  • Replace that horrible exsisting Lume with a quality job from such has JH.
  • All new gaskets as a matter of course.
  • A service by such has Duncan or Tom, I have seen Duncans work on the 6139 but only read about the quality of Toms.

Do that and you will have a super quality 6139 that will last you for many years to come.

Of course all the above is just my twopence :)

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey all, thanks for the continued interest. Watch will hopefully be off to Tom when his schedule frees up. I plan to get it fully serviced and keep it as original as possible with a crystal polish. At that point I'll have something I'd be proud to wear, but without too much doorknob anxiety, which is my personal sweet spot. I completely understand why people would want a NOS looking watch, but I feel a lot happier when someone else has already been responsible for the first scratches - maybe when I have more money and no boisterous toddler I'll feel differently ;)

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
it is a gorgeous watch....can't wait to see it all done...great find..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Ok, having got the Hickman and Clockbloke jealousy seals of approval I feel a lot better. Honestly felt like I might have been a right idiot after collecting it and realising in addition to the QS and inner bezel problems I'd noticed while looking it over, it also kept stopping! Thought I might have bought a total lemon so very pleased to see it is probably fixable.

Fingers crossed it will be on it's way to the spa before too long, but plan to keep the cosmetics mostly as is other than the crystal scratches.

Oh, and I'm 5'7" too, *and* I sometimes need to make an extra strap hole for my skinny wrists, so I'm glad neither of you will need to kick me!

Finally, I have to admit I'm not much of a bracelet guy and I really like the examples of these I've seen on brown perforated leather. If enough of you accuse me of heresy for the thought I might try and source a stelux...

Also, thanks to all for their detailed walkthroughs - the knowledge and generosity on display never ceases to amaze me!

Where are you sending this 6139 to get it fixed?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts