The Watch Site banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm not new to collecting vintage Seiko but definitely not a seasoned pro either. I have a ever growing collection and already have the gun metal gray dial 6117-8000 in similar condition but without a box. For some reason the 6117 has become one of my absolute favorite watches regardless of brand and I decided I wanted to try and pick up a silver dial as well.

As I was searching for the silver dial, I came across this blue dial which I had only briefly heard/seen online. From what I gather these are pretty rare and especially rare with the bracelet. I took the plunge and actually picked it up for a bit cheaper than what I bought my gray dial for. My question for all of you experts out there. Do we know if indeed this version is really that rare?

I've read a bit about the Stelux bracelets being some of Seiko's finest and I will say that it is noticeably better than the other 6117 bracelet. The weight is excellent and has a great overall look to it. Now that I have one more of the 6117 trifecta I need to start the search again for the silver dial version.

Attachments

·
Registered
447 Posts
I don't know about rare, but I think I could wear that every day of the year and never feel under-dressed or over-dressed. That's a winner.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
Agree, it’s beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
I’ve been doing a fair bit of research on these. I’ve found about 13 blue ones across 3 forums, Google and all of Rakuten.

I’m pretty surprised how those two auctions ended; I’m guessing you ended up with the lower of the two. Very nice!

You’re totally right about the bracelet, they’re really a step above. I wish I had endlinks for mine ... I’ve managed to find three without. Someday, I’ll get a set.

Anyway, here are mine.

·
Premium Member
10,671 Posts
you're wading in high grass with those watches - well done. They are beautiful.

And I'm a big fan of the Seiko branded Stelux bracelets. I think they are better quality than the Seiko OEM bracelets. They are a plus when found on a watch IMO.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I’ve been doing a fair bit of research on these. I’ve found about 13 blue ones across 3 forums, Google and all of Rakuten.

I’m pretty surprised how those two auctions ended; I’m guessing you ended up with the lower of the two. Very nice!

You’re totally right about the bracelet, they’re really a step above. I wish I had endlinks for mine ... I’ve managed to find three without. Someday, I’ll get a set.

Anyway, here are mine.

That's crazy about the 13 across 3 forums. Now you're up to 15 with these 2 that just sold. I asked the seller if he was a collector or how he'd come across these rare watches and he mentioned he bought them from an estate sale.

Out of curiosity, what was surprising about the auctions? The fact that one sold for around 1/3 less than the other one? Or was it the price in general?

I really had no idea on the pricing but it seemed like the blue might command a premium.

·
Craftsman
3,697 Posts
Those Blue Dials are Beautiful!

·
Registered
169 Posts
Actually, those two are #12 and 13 on my list!

I am surprised about the separation in price more than the final dollar amount. I feel like I can point to factors that negatively effected the sale price (for the seller). Considering the obvious excellent condition of each, I think both were a good deal—one criminally so (congrats again, btw)!

The last public sale of one was in worse shape than either of these (which look to be pristine and some of the finest examples I've seen), and it split the difference between these two almost exactly.

In my opinion, while 6117-8000s as a whole are up-and-coming, I don't think they're quite in the upper echelon of appreciation yet. And I think the nuance of the blue—which is extremely rare—isn't yet fully appreciated either. I'd love to see production numbers on the three dial colors.

Anyway, killer pickup! And if you ever come across any extra endlinks for that bracelet, look me up!

That's crazy about the 13 across 3 forums. Now you're up to 15 with these 2 that just sold. I asked the seller if he was a collector or how he'd come across these rare watches and he mentioned he bought them from an estate sale.

Out of curiosity, what was surprising about the auctions? The fact that one sold for around 1/3 less than the other one? Or was it the price in general?

I really had no idea on the pricing but it seemed like the blue might command a premium.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
Rarely see a Blue dialed 6117-8000 The Condition is beautiful.
I have a Minty Black dialed as is the most common I understand the Search for a Silver dialed, I have not noticed a Silver Dialed
for sale in a long while if ever. Good Luck in your Hunt.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts