The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For 3-4 years now, I've had my eyes out for a nice 6138 or 6139-based chronograph, mostly looking around locally at antique shops, pawn shops, and estate sales. Only found one in that time - a nice 6139-6012, but the seller and I couldn't agree on a price. Then a couple months ago on a forum far, far away, a guy posted a little "vintage Seiko chrono" for sale. Pics weren't great, but it had an interesting 70's vibe that the 6012 didn't have. I was able to agree on a price this time, and a couple weeks later this 6139-8020 made its way from England to Texas.

6139-8020-01 by clair_davis, on Flickr

It was mounted on an incorrect bracelet that was at least half an inch too short, so I forced this thin NATO strap on for a while and began to search for a better bracelet. I also started to wonder if it might be one of those "restored" watches from the Far East, but I just don't know what to look for to be sure. I do know that it runs very well and keeps good time. All the surfaces are just a little too clean, so that's why I figure it's a resto. The only down sides I can see so far are a low power reserve (a bit over 24 hours at best), the hands appear to have been relumed, and the chrono hand doesn't seem to want to stay centered @ 12.

If you see any specific tells about the possible history of this piece, I'd love to hear about them. I'm not a collector, and this watch has already had a lot of wrist time, so I'll be wearing this regardless of the pedigree. I mostly just want to know how close to original it appears to be. On to the pics:

6139-8020-02 by clair_davis, on Flickr

6139-8020-06 by clair_davis, on Flickr

6139-8020-03 by clair_davis, on Flickr

6139-8020-04 by clair_davis, on Flickr

6139-8020-05 by clair_davis, on Flickr

6139-8020-07 by clair_davis, on Flickr

6139-8020-08 by clair_davis, on Flickr

Last week, an original bracelet arrived, and it was long enough to fit my 7.75" wrist:
WRUW_2015-02-04 by clair_davis, on Flickr

So far, I'm enjoying the heck out of this great watch!

Thanks for any guidance,

Clair

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
well it is a beautiful watch...looks like some water infiltration ...it might be a little polished...i think you found a nice example..i am sure someone else will chime in with better info...God Bless John

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
What a beautiful timepiece and I think jringo8769 is correct, it does look like the case back gasket failed a bit but that can be expected on these vintage watches from this era. There are answers to all your concerns but you are so much further ahead of where you could be since it keeps good time. I would consider a good service and gasket set replacement just so you "know for sure" what has been done to it and that could have a positive result on the zeroing of your main seconds hand and power reserve. SeikoPsycho2 here on the SCWF has done wonderful work for my 6139's and I can highly recommend his services but there are quite a few talented craftsmen here as well.

I would be thrilled to have this example in my collection as I know you are. The thrill of the hunt and the satisfaction of finally bagging your target.

I know you will continue to enjoy it and wear it with pride ! Great find !

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, guys! It's gotten a lot of compliments in the short time I've owned it, and it's surprisingly comfortable to wear. Maybe it shouldn't be surprising, my other vintage Seiko's are great to wear, too.

Doing a full checkup is the plan at this point, I really want to know that it is as functional now as it was when it was new, so all the gaskets and seals need to be fresh and intact. I won't know how healthy it is until I get a chance to take her apart, and I've got a lot of research to do before I attempt that. The gasket on the back is there and seems OK, but I can't tell anything about the stem & pushers.

I hope this will be a go-anywhere, do-anything watch soon.

Thanks again,

Clair

·
Registered
6,305 Posts
well great to see another happy seiko owner...please keep us up to date if you get it serviced too..

1 - 5 of 5 Posts