The Watch Site banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I guess we all have one watch project that never ends no matter how much time and effort we expend on it. This is mine.

I bought this well over a year ago, I wanted to learn more about the 6139 movement, and this looked ideal as it was cheap and a more desirable JDM Speed Timer model.

I stripped and cleaned the 6139A movement only to find the barrel bushings were completely worn out, the barrel had worn big chunks out of the mainplate and bridge. I sourced a replacement 6139B movement that turned out to be a dog, I serviced it and got it running but I wasn't really happy as it had many signs of wear and surface corrosion on the components.

Next I restored the case with a clean, polish and scotchbrite, I cleaned and re-lumed the dial and the inner bezel and dyed the faded crystal retaining ring. I sourced a new crystal, gaskets, pushers and springs, a new AM set of hands and a snazzy DiModell Rallye strap.

Once reassembled I was disappointed with the result, the pushers were sticky, the hands looked cheap, the movement wasn't accurate, the chrono kept jamming, and I'd made a lousy job of the relume.

So, I sent the 6139A plates off to our man Joe Horner for rebushing, a surprisingly cost effective solution, thanks Joe. I rebuilt the 6139A (again) carefully doing all the checks and adjustments in the Seiko service guides, I even polished the hammers. I re-lumed the dial (again), bought new pusher springs and gaskets (again), and repainted the original hands.

The second reassembly went OK except for dislocating the centre chronograph wheel when fitting the second hand and having to rebuild half the movement yet again.

Everything looked good, I'm wearing the watch (yay!), but a problem soon came to light - the day wheel is slipping. I can't face taking the thing apart again so I've decided to put up with it for the time being. But then disaster, the chrono, which has been working perfectly, suddenly won't reset. The second hand goes to somewhere between 1 and 2 o'clock instead of 12, and the minute hand is switching back and forth between 5mins and 25mins with each reset !?!?

Two Questions:
Anybody know what's wrong with the chrono reset?
Has anybody else got a tale of a nemesis watch? I could do with cheering up...

Cheer, Sam.

·
Special Member
6,531 Posts
My Nemesis was a 6139- chrono too. What a beauty, it quit, sent it to Spencer, he inspected and said it was mostly OK and just gave it a few minor tweaks, then it quit again.

I messed around with my local watchmaker and bought a dead movement for spares and finally sold the nightmare here on SCWF for parts. I lost well over $200 and endless hours.

Maybe the 6139- ghosts appear every so often ???

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
No nemesis watches here, so far I have managed to complete avery project.

The 6139's are a fairly simple device and the key to troubleshooting is understanding how it works on a component on component level. The most basic reason for the chronograph hands not resetting to the same place and wandering is caused by the pushers being bent or dirty, any lack in travel will result in the hammer not striking the hearts deep enough to centralize the wheels. I expect the pushers and pusher recesses are clean in this case but are the pushers straight and does swapping them over help? I was playing with a 6139 this afternoon with the same problem and a pusher swap over did the trick. If the pushers look bent try resetting the chronograph using a small screwdriver directly onto the operating lever for process of elimination.

The sweephand could have moved on its shaft too so I would check this as well.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
No Nemesis here my nickname is "Tenthumbs". so I don't play with watch movements except for doing the occasional timimg on a Seiko Diver thats it. Find the best and send the watch away.

Cheers
Mark

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
I've got a catalogue of nemesis watches:undecided:

Just the other week I broke the centre shaft clip on a customer's Heuer stopwatch. He wanted two that matched exactly and now I've ruined on of them (trying to get the hand off):mad:

I still have problems with 6139s/6138s - they're not easy watches to get right.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Mike, excellent advice, I'll start by checking the reset pusher.

No nemesis watches here, so far I have managed to complete avery project.

The 6139's are a fairly simple device and the key to troubleshooting is understanding how it works on a component on component level. The most basic reason for the chronograph hands not resetting to the same place and wandering is caused by the pushers being bent or dirty, any lack in travel will result in the hammer not striking the hearts deep enough to centralize the wheels. I expect the pushers and pusher recesses are clean in this case but are the pushers straight and does swapping them over help? I was playing with a 6139 this afternoon with the same problem and a pusher swap over did the trick. If the pushers look bent try resetting the chronograph using a small screwdriver directly onto the operating lever for process of elimination.

The sweephand could have moved on its shaft too so I would check this as well.

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
I forgot to say if using a screwdriver to reset the chronograph hands do it dial side down with the caseback off so you can see where you are poking the screwdriver.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Every watch I seem to touch goes up in smoke. Not enough time to just sit down and concentrate on the job in hand, I'd be happy for just that. Makes me sad to think I'll never reach the heights of a chronograph watch, barely get time to finish a 7002 movement.
Looks really nice, that relume is excellent, I'd happy pay for that type of craftsmanship, so why out source?
With the scotch bright cleaning, what's the technique? I've got a case that could do with a clean up.
Regards, David

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I've got a catalogue of nemesis watches:undecided:

Just the other week I broke the centre shaft clip on a customer's Heuer stopwatch. He wanted two that matched exactly and now I've ruined on of them (trying to get the hand off):mad:

I still have problems with 6139s/6138s - they're not easy watches to get right.
A friend of mine has these Heuer stopwatches normally. If you get stuck for spares give me a shout or look up *justatick* on that online auction website and drop my name aka Tony fusee clocks.

·
Craftsman
3,723 Posts
Mike's spot on with his advice as always. While working the pusher levers as he suggested, I would also look carefully at the rivets that secure the lever to the plate. Sometimes these come loose not letting the lever pivot correctly.

If one appears loose apply pressure to it while depressing the reset lever and see if it resets correctly.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks David, here's some threads on case re-finishing, though I admit did this case by hand with a Spontex heavy duty scouring pad.
Work in Progress (Putting the Freshness Back)
First restoration attempt on a 6139 7039
Another 6105 8000 case resto
Seiko Case Restoration, A Photo Essay...
Brushed finish?

I only have time to do three or four watches a year...the key for me is to break the resto up into small tasks and only aim to do one task per weekend (family commitments allowing). Even so a half hour tasks often seems to end up taking half a day...

Every watch I seem to touch goes up in smoke. Not enough time to just sit down and concentrate on the job in hand, I'd be happy for just that. Makes me sad to think I'll never reach the heights of a chronograph watch, barely get time to finish a 7002 movement.
Looks really nice, that relume is excellent, I'd happy pay for that type of craftsmanship, so why out source?
With the scotch bright cleaning, what's the technique? I've got a case that could do with a clean up.
Regards, David

·
Craftsman
2,114 Posts
As the reset hammer on the 6139 resets both the seconds and the minute register I'd say Mike's probably correct in thinking it's not being moved its full travel. Work backwards from the pusher inspecting every link in the reset mechanism, you should soon see what's not right.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I checked the reset operation using a small Allen key as suggested and was relieved to find it worked fine. However the pusher was OK too, not bent at all, but it is an AM replacement as the watch only had one when I bought it. Luckily I'd kept the original, as a close comparison shows the AM version is very slightly shorter (see pic, AM on right). I swapped the original back in and the problem's solved.

Thanks everybody for helping me, especially to Mike for diagnosing the problem without even seeing the watch, very impressive, that cat taught you well.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Thanks David, here's some threads on case re-finishing, though I admit did this case by hand with a Spontex heavy duty scouring pad.
Work in Progress (Putting the Freshness Back)
First restoration attempt on a 6139 7039
Another 6105 8000 case resto
Seiko Case Restoration, A Photo Essay...
Brushed finish?

I only have time to do three or four watches a year...the key for me is to break the resto up into small tasks and only aim to do one task per weekend (family commitments allowing). Even so a half hour tasks often seems to end up taking half a day...
Thank you for the link, think I'll have a read and then post the outcome.
Great to hear the fault was cured! Those pushers are tricky little blighters.
Regards, David

1 - 16 of 16 Posts