The Watch Site banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My neat 7009-821J with a Thai dial and Arabic date wheel

Picked up this neat little watch of eBay about a year ago. Besides a couple of rare Seiko diver models it is the only Seiko I have laid eyes on with the numerals on the dial marked in Farsi. I have several diver models that have English/Farsi date wheels but I have yet to see a lower end model like this with Farsi numerals on the dial. The case is marked 7009-821J with a serial of 9N3637. The dial is marked 7009 2144 R 2. Anyone else ever come across one. The color of the dial makes me wonder if it might have been possible military issue?

Michael

·
Registered
690 Posts
Nice looking watch. I like the gold hands with the green dial. Like you I have older dive watches with the Farsi day wheel but have never seen the numbers. Seems like the date wheel should match.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought they were Farsi because of the date wheel being Farsi. here are two other watches that all have Farsi date wheels and that matches.

First a SXK011J diver bought in the Philippines

Then an older diver 7S26-0020 I don't know the model number

Maybe it is even more interesting if it is Thai. Still have to wonder where this watch came from?

·
Researcher
5,302 Posts
The numbers on the dial are 100% written in Thai script - the day wheel is in Arabic, not Farsi/Persian, and is Wednesday.
So it's Thai market for sure.
Those SKX's are J spec - so normally English/Arabic day wheel.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The numbers on the dial are 100% written in Thai script - the day wheel is in Arabic, not Farsi/Persian, and is Wednesday.
So it's Thai market for sure.
Those SKX's are J spec - so normally English/Arabic day wheel.
I always assumed Farsi and Arabic were the same language? I am guessing from your post that they are not. Almost all of the Diver watches in my collection came from the Philippines and are Japan models. I always wondered why they all have the Arabic/English date wheels. Maybe it is they way Seiko breaks down their markets. All Seiko's sold in America always have English/Spanish date wheels I am guessing because the consider North and South America all one market and can cover it with just one model?

So now that I know the dial is in Thai I think that is even cooler!

·
Researcher
5,302 Posts
I always assumed Farsi and Arabic were the same language? I am guessing from your post that they are not. Almost all of the Diver watches in my collection came from the Philippines and are Japan models. I always wondered why they all have the Arabic/English date wheels. Maybe it is they way Seiko breaks down their markets. All Seiko's sold in America always have English/Spanish date wheels I am guessing because the consider North and South America all one market and can cover it with just one model?

So now that I know the dial is in Thai I think that is even cooler!
It's a cool watch, I'd wear it for sure!.
Farsi is the Persian language - present day Iran and more, it had a huge empire, an advanced civilization and was a seat of learning and science for thousands of years. They're distinctly separate from the Arabs.
This is Farsi

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts