The Watch Site banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, during one of my nightly searches of Ramons new stuff I stumbled up this one by accident. I think it was listed as a Quartz, and since I never make it past those titles it was the picture that ended up catching my eye. The dial looked nice, so after 5 minutes of research (wow, this thing is rare) I grabbed it. And of course, I'm a sucker for Kanji.

Once it got here I ordered a new cap, and a couple of parts watches from Ramon. With the first parts movement and new cap nothing happened, so I had to wait for the next couple. Those ones were so water damaged I gave up, but on a whim I pulled the board from one of them and stuck it in today. And the movement fired up. Wow... The reserve indicator doesn't do anything, and not knowing if that part of the charging circuit or not I'll have to wait and see if it keeps going for the next couple of days.

So, the case was brushed by someone that apparently rubbed it with sandpaper and after trying to bring it back to life I just polished it right out. Too bad, I like to restore the OE brushed finishes. I relumed the hands with as close as I could make to the original faded lume on the dial, lumed the pip, and filled the black back in around it. I'll need to sort the crystal at some point, but I can live the the scratches for now. The dial I just rodico'ed to get the salt off.

The bracelet was tricky, I had a straight end on there, but it looked awful (I hate straight ends on curved cases) and I am a freak about bracelets (won't wear a watch unless the bracelet at least somewhat flows with the case) so I modified a cheap chinese one I had laying around while holding the dremel between my knees. Don't mind the hugs gouges, it's a prototype. I'll be ordering something with flat endlinks to get a better transition to the case.

Whew, that was long winded for me. Thanks people!

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nice interesting watch, you are not the only one with a dremel between your knees:biggrin:

I can't see the bracelet properly but it seems to suit the watch well enough.

Lol, thanks Polly. I wore it all last night and it flipped the D/D just fine so I'm going to leave it on my wrist for a while longer yet. I had some concern because it seemed a little stiff changing it manually. I did a sort-of-service to it when it was all apart, but I couldn't find anything on the net in the way of a service manual for the movement. I think I'm going to tear down the other two laying around to see if there is anywhere I can lubricate that I missed on this one. At any rate, it's working so far.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
I have a mint 5M23 in my collection and although the watch runs perfect the power indicator never read higher than the second level. It also takes a good five minutes of shaking it to charge up the capacitor if it has been sitting for a long time but once it does get going it runs like a charm. The 5M23 movement in any watch is rare. To find one in a divers case is super rare! You have a sweet watch there.
I also have a huge box of project and parts watches coming from Ramon.
I am really looking forward to getting my hands on this rare 5H23-7D19

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Ooh, it's got the original bracelet too. Nice find on that one!
Thanks. My head is full of some small mods for this one. Mostly I'm thinking I want to change the insert and maybe the hands. I love the color of the dial so that's staying. I just got some new bezel inserts on Friday from kontrolsports. Maybe some black hands to give the dial some pop! What do you think?

Michael

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Man, I go through that every time I get a watch from Ramon. That thing is in such nice shape I would be inclined to restore it. I have made very very few custom watches only because I have a wierd thing about restoring them back to as original as I can do (which is hard on a budget). I have had many show up at the door that I intended to go custom on and they all ended up as stock original. I have two customs in the watch box, and that's it. I just made another two only because I had tons of spare parts and they were just going to go on Ebay regardless anyways.

Having said all that, black hands would look sick on that thing so if you like the idea go for it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts