The Watch Site banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
MrWozza70 accidentally violated rule 15 when he kindly advised us of this watch being on Ebay. Well I was glad he did, I got the watch :)

How it arrived:

Bent backplate, dead coil but a complete 7C43 :)

Circuit works!

( I'd never would have known without my awesome 70's quartz tester)

new coil from cousins :) (thanks Seikola for the heads up! :) )

Not exactly mint, but it's working again!

I cleaned the case as best as possible, but I can't remove the crystal holding ring, no matter how much force I dare to use, tool slipped already :( So the crystal stays for the moment, until I find a solution.

I found a fitting battery but I don't know how good it is. So I'm testing if the movement needs further cleaning. And it needs some other parts of course, new insert, gaskets, and maybe a crystal, If I ever manage to unscrew that ring...
And a new battery and I need to learn to lume because the lume of these hands look really crappy.

Cat likes the watch too :)

Oh :(

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
Good result and I will send Brad to the naughty step if he breaks the rule again (unless it is for something i need :) ).

If you wanted to send the case to me i will put it on Big Bertha and she will undo the ring :)

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Looking good. good to see one resurrected. What are you using to take the retaining ring off and hold the watch? Have a look at one of my posts - i made a jig to hold the watch and it has never let me down. You can place it on the floor and press down on your removal tool.

Good luck with the hands. i tried for a couple of years for replacements. to no avail. In the end i put some Pilot hands on - and am very pleased how they turned out. Once again there are some pics in one of my posts.

B

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Big Bertha sure looks nice! Maybe I'll just send the watch to you Tiger :) Although the Jig Barry mentioned is also a great idea. Until now my rubber jawed vice and the Jaxa three pronged opener did the trick. But not with this one...

·
Registered
1,711 Posts
Only saw Johns post after i had posted my reply.

Pic of mine here. The fact that it is big is the key - it allows you to hold it against the wall or some furniture or between the knees, to stop it spinning. Its one of my most handy and used tools. Cost : £0.43

The key to removing tight case backs , retainers etc, is holding teh watch securely

But having said that - Johns Big Bertha looks like it would also crack the nut too

·
Registered
6,231 Posts
Only saw Johns post after i had posted my reply.

Pic of mine here. The fact that it is big is the key - it allows you to hold it against the wall or some furniture or between the knees, to stop it spinning. Its one of my most handy and used tools. Cost : £0.43

The key to removing tight case backs , retainers etc, is holding teh watch securely

But having said that - Johns Big Bertha looks like it would also crack the nut too
Wow I like this wooden hold down ! I found that rather than hold the watch securely and rotate the tool, I put the watch back remover tool into the vice, then I hold the watch tight and rotate the watch itself. Seems to be a lot more effective but nowhere near what your graduated peg tool (or Big Bertha) must be able to do.

Where can a fellow forum member find such an ingenious device? Did you make it yourself or purchased ?

·
Registered
379 Posts
Well at least all is well that ends well... I'm never far from the naughty step. These are so hard to find complete and serviceable that I almost feel glad to have breached protocol :)

Big Bertha will help you shift the unshiftable. Don't try anything else...

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
MrWozza70 accidentally violated rule 15 when he kindly advised us of this watch being on Ebay. Well I was glad he did, I got the watch :)

How it arrived:

Bent backplate, dead coil but a complete 7C43 :)

Circuit works!

( I'd never would have known without my awesome 70's quartz tester)

new coil from cousins :) (thanks Seikola for the heads up! :) )

Not exactly mint, but it's working again!

I cleaned the case as best as possible, but I can't remove the crystal holding ring, no matter how much force I dare to use, tool slipped already :( So the crystal stays for the moment, until I find a solution.

I found a fitting battery but I don't know how good it is. So I'm testing if the movement needs further cleaning. And it needs some other parts of course, new insert, gaskets, and maybe a crystal, If I ever manage to unscrew that ring...
And a new battery and I need to learn to lume because the lume of these hands look really crappy.

Cat likes the watch too :)

Oh :(

That's cats....they play with our emotions:rolleyes:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts