The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I posted this in another forum a while back and thought I'd share this here.

This is a Bell-Matic 4006-6011 that I got sometime in October last year. The photos in the listing were not the best but was enough to convince me to pursue it. It was one of those very late nights trolling the bay when I stumbled upon it, got obsessed with it, slept on it, sent a question or two to the seller and then later on decided that I was probably my last chance to get a hold of one in what appeared to be in decent enough condition.

So when it eventually arrived I was pleasantly surprised. Don't you just love it when sellers don't 'over-sell' by taking just regular, close to crappy, photos of nice pieces?

I've had eyes on this particular model for many years and having finally found one I feel very lucky. I just love everything about it - the dark linen dial, the orange accents on the rotating ring, the shape and finish of the brushed case and that railroad bracelet. Not only is it in great condition, it is from January '72. Being born December 1971, this is the closest to a birth year watch as I have ever gotten!

I am no expert at these but based on my research it seems to be a legitimate example. You guys are welcome to chime in if you see anything out of place or want to share something about this model and Bell-Matics in general.

As I have a self imposed limit of 20 (to fit the watch box), this will be my only Bell-Matic - and that's perfectly fine with me since it is THE one I want. It is definitely one that I'll pass on to my boys :D

...oh and Happy Easter to those who celebrate it!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I like it.Congratulations
Sometimes the bay yields some great finds.

Sent from Galaxy S6 Edge via Tapacrap

·
Registered
19 Posts
Superb! Congratulations.
Exactly what I'm looking for too, though a silver linen dial would also be in the running.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Very nice. I'm on the lookout for a '72 seiko at present myself. The bell-matic model is definitely in the running.
Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you!

When I was deciding, I remember the seller informing me that there were no major dings or scratches on it and along with the photos, I was content. But when I received it and cleaned it I actually found it hard to find any signs of previous use apart from a faint mark here and there. And yeah the bracelet was a great bonus with almost no marks and no stretch.

Since getting it I have been wearing it in rotation and making it my own!

In this day and age of smart phones and what not, using the mechanical alarm on this thing is still a nice experience :)

·
Registered
19 Posts
Truly.
I work in a very tech oriented office (a co-working/hacker space) and everyone mostly ignores the constant dings and pings from phones and laptops.
I wore my bell for the first time yesterday after getting it adjusted etc (post and pics to follow), and set a 'time for lunch' alarm. Everyone was WTF! when it went off. A really nice experience to have a 'real' alarm.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Truly.
I work in a very tech oriented office (a co-working/hacker space) and everyone mostly ignores the constant dings and pings from phones and laptops.
I wore my bell for the first time yesterday after getting it adjusted etc (post and pics to follow), and set a 'time for lunch' alarm. Everyone was WTF! when it went off. A really nice experience to have a 'real' alarm.
Funny you shared this because I had the same exact experience at the office one time. Colleagues were like WTF?! And when I explained to them what it was everyone went 'ooohh, ahhhh, nice.'

It's got that charm...

·
Registered
6,344 Posts
Yours is now just all legit but perfect - congrats !

I actually used mine today to wake me up - works great ! Just for the heck of it mind you. The dog sleeps in a crate next to the bed and my "bedside table" is his crate with a laminated top. Woke him up too !

Michael (Killsnapz) sold me a new 'bell', that made all the difference in the world. I highly recommend this as an upgrade to any Bell-Matic restorations.

My 4006-6011 June 1971 says "Hi":

Attachments

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yours is now just all legit but perfect - congrats !

I actually used mine today to wake me up - works great ! Just for the heck of it mind you. The dog sleeps in a crate next to the bed and my "bedside table" is his crate with a laminated top. Woke him up too !

Michael (Killsnapz) sold me a new 'bell', that made all the difference in the world. I highly recommend this as an upgrade to any Bell-Matic restorations.

My 4006-6011 June 1971 says "Hi":
Thank you. Beautiful silver dial you have there and from 1971. That bracelet looks very interesting too, haven't seen that one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts