The Watch Site banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 6119 6030 thats been sitting in the project drawer for ages.
The dial is pretty beat up and the lume is full of Black mould, or wabi as the "But its original" brigade call it.

So bugger all to loose, i bought some cheap Redrooster relume compound, and had a go.

Nowhere near Guy's standards (yet) but im quite pleased with how its turned out.
No before pics im afraid as i thought this would turn out to be a complete mess.
Ive done the hands as well but i cant take pics as they are still on sticks drying out.

Click on the pic to see all the scratches, and why this completely knackerd dial is now only half knackered:grin:
WP_20190517_21_54_50_Pro.jpg
WP_20190517_21_59_04_Pro.jpg

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Nothing wrong at all with that job, looks great.
Thanks Jerry, your too kind, IMOP the lume is too uneven, ive either got the mixture wrong, and/or the oiling pin ive used was too big, or perhaps it was because i was using cheap crap.
Now that i know im not going to make a complete balls of it, ill get some decent compound and have another go.

·
Registered
4,607 Posts
It looks good good in the pictures, can't see it. A little uneven is okay, lume naturally gets uneven after 40-50 years anyways, looks natural. :)

·
Premium Member
9,242 Posts
looks nice Ivor - you did well. Learn by doing.

Nice thing is you can remove the lume easily and re-do anything that bugs you. I find I don't make my lume viscous enough and it clumps instead of spreading easily. Get the viscosity right and it makes for an easier job .... thanks for sharing ....

·
Registered
3,866 Posts
Aloha Sir,

Ivor, Hey Man it is the ....... EFFORT INTO IT THAT WILL COUNT .
Eventually you will hit it Sir and then get to doing it good.
If no Practice is done to accomplish, then what will it get too ..... Right ??

I Think it is good trying and it is not all that .... Big Of A Mess done.
As you go along other will be able to help you out like when we do our Watch's and Repairs.
Ivor at least you are trying even if Failure comes then you will get it..... Better and Better eventually.

Like you stated to this:
MY FIRST SHOT AT LUMIMG .... , you did say that right so continue on Sir.

Even .... THE BEST OUT THERE HAD TO START SOME WHERE ......RIGHT ...???
Good Effort Sir,
Aloha
Louis

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Mastering reluming is a good skill to have Ivor, you will soon hone your technique.

It's worth spending more on the binder and pigment, good quality stuff is so much easier to use and gives a better result. When I switched from cheap stuff to burgeon it was a revelation, The lume mixes easier and evenly and the binder does not go off too quickly.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the kind comments and the encouragements chaps, and to get a "Not bad" from the master is quite an accolade.

More practice and better quality lume is the way forwards without a doubt.

·
Super Moderator
2,059 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Nice work. I have done hands but not attempted a dial yet. Did you scrape off the old lume before apply the new or did you just relume over the old?

I softened the old lume first with a little drop of acetone, then scraped it all off with a sharpened Orange wood stick.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts