The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my first post after purchasing my first vintage, automatic Seiko, so this post is a quick introduction as well as an opportunity for me to seek some advice.

Seiko 6139-6012 from January 1972 bought on Ebay from a bloke in Queensland. Was in need of an overhaul, heavily scratched and marked crystal and pushers were jammed with gunk. Crown was on an awkward angle.Case still has quite a few dints and marks, but only a couple of minor blemishes on dial around 4 o'clock.

Before and after pics attached, happy to say it is performing very well at +/- 2 secs a day, much better than my other dailies, a new Silleta based watch averaging +/- 5 secs per day and a vintage 3135 movement now dragging out to + 20 secs per day.

Only disappointing feature is that the sweep hand is after market (as far as I can tell), appears much slender than what is the norm, plus not too many pics I've seen with sweeping hand not matching the colour of the minutes counter. Would like to replace this with an original or NOS if readily available.

Would also like to hear your thoughts regarding the following.

- What bracelet would everyone recommend? I know this came on a railroad style bracelet, but are there any good jubilee style bracelets that would suit?​
- Is it worthwhile re-luming?​
- How easy is it to polish and brush to its original glory?​

Cheers all
Gary

Attachments

·
Registered
424 Posts
Looks marvelous! I wouldn't be too quick to lume it since the original is still alright. Polishing can be done by hand if you're patient and careful about the factory edges/facets but brushing is whole different story!

·
Registered
3,923 Posts
Great result, another diamond in the rough saved. I truly love all the 6139-××××. I love looking for bright lume under a scratched crystal with a good bit of original undisturbed DNA. Removing the crystal is like taking the cover off a time capsule. Great job and welcome to the forum. Keep up the good work.

·
Premium Member
10,286 Posts
welcome to the forums and nice watch. Lots of love for 6139s around here.

·
Registered
2,219 Posts
Welcome! My love for Seiko chronographs is almost without bounds. I must say that I haven’t seen a gold dial variant like yours in a long time. It’s a great look! I think that your two piece sweep may be from a 6019. It looks just like mine. I can’t imagine the red color is right for yours but someone please correct me otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts