The Watch Site banner

My First Mod Attempt - Seiko Baby Tuna

7K views 19 replies 8 participants last post by  CerialPhreak 
#1 ·
Hello everyone, I am a new member to the forum and this is my first attempt at modding a watch. I recently developed an affection for the Darth Tuna but I'm not warm on the Quartz movement. So I thought I would take a swing at modding a baby tuna into an affordable automatic with similar styling. I'm really excited about the project but I have encountered some challenges and frustrations. I am banking that the challenges and frustration will make the end result that much more satisfying.

I am starting with a SRP641K1 and the plan is to change the dial, chapter ring, and hands. I also need to change the color of the crown and shroud screws from gold to black.

I am replacing the dial with a SKX007 dial from Dagaz. Easy! Chriscentro started a baby tuna thread on Watchuseek and he provided good suggestions in that thread. Thank you Chriscentro!

Now the chapter ring, that is the first source of frustration. I bought a 007 chapter ring from Dagaz but learned it's not compatible. I would love to source a genuine Seiko ring with white markers from another baby tuna like the SRP639. But sourcing Seiko parts is another source of frustration. Worse case, I will keep the original ring which has gold markers. Not ideal but I don't think it will ruin the mod.

For the hands, I purchased the 2015 silver tuna hands with C3 lume from Yobokies. I like the hands but the lume is horrible. After charging the lume for over two minutes under a very bright light the lume glow lasted no longer then 15 minutes. I sent an email to Harold about the lume but his business is closed until January 20. If I can't right the lume issue with Harold I'll need to decide whether to relume the hands or look for an alternative.

Black crown? I haven't been able to find a source for a replacement black crown. I can have the original gold colored crown coated black. I have been emailing Jay at MCWW and he said he can do it in Cerakote.

Black shroud screws? I'm looking for genuine Seiko screws. If that doesn't pan out, Jay says he can coat the original screws.

I don't have pictures yet but will post some as soon as I have something to photograph. That is if people are interested.

Being new to modding I do have a question. Can anyone help me find a source for Seiko parts? Primarily the SRP639 chapter ring and black shroud screws. Thank you in advance for any help that can be provided.

Cheers!

See less See more
#2 ·
If you like the look of the Darth Tuna I would get one. They are great watches and the looks and quality overrides any bias against them being quartz powered IMO.

In the mean time good luck and have fun with the Babty Tuna mod. I have modded the Baby Tuna too and the chapter ring was a pain. Let us all see a piccy when it is done.

#3 ·
Hi pollyc. Your advice is solid. I would like to buy a Darth Tuna at some point. But the budget is a little tight right now because I bought a boat for surfing and spearfishing. But one day I hope to own a Darth tuna. I love pure tool dive watches and I think the DT is the ultimate.

#4 · (Edited)
Seiko made a limited production run of the SBBN023. This one came with black shroud, black crown, bezel, screws...the entire watch is black. Probably be hard to find spares for that watch so you will likely need to coat the parts you want done in black.
I've been doing about one order a week of black parts. I did screws, shroud, case for a black tuna mod and will be doing three bezels this week.
Let me know if you need anything done and I'll see if I can help you.
Best not to use your gold parts when switching to black...you will find that you need the gold parts for something. I've got a 1000m tuna dial that I need to get into a tuna mod and that one will have black case and shroud but gold screws and crown.
You've seen my Blackfin series watches. These will all be variations in black pvd. Some a little darker black and some a bit lighter in color.
Mike

#5 ·
Hi Aquaman, thank you for your advice on the screws and your services. I just ordered a set of black shroud screws for a Darth tuna from a member. I'm not positive they are compatible but for the cost it's worth a try. If that doesn't work I'll take your path. I'm starting to get excited again for my mod project.

I read your post about your Blackfin series. Your watches are absolutely beautiful. I really think that Seiko Dial and hands really pop with the black bezel and case. I'm partial to black stealthy watches. Always have been.

I might be interested in getting watch stuff pvd coated. What is the best way to discuss this with you?

Thank you again

#7 ·
@RoddyJ I am looking forward to do the same so I really wonder did you manage to do it? On example, what kind of black screws should I order. Do your Darth black screws fit?

Some photos of your mod would be great if you are willing to share it. I am sure it turned out well!

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it!

#8 ·
@moth3r, I have most of the mod completed and I am really happy with the results so far. I will provide pics soon. I've held off on updating this thread because I'm not completely finished. I have been waiting a veeeery veeeery long time for hands to be relumed by Jack at IWC. The Darth screws work perfectly. I also got a black and white chapter ring from Rob at Monster Watches. This modding process has been super frustrating for me, primarily due to the very slow, or lack of, responses from some of the people who provide parts and/or services.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.