The Watch Site banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
"The Prospector"
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi all,
I have not been very active on here of late, due to a few health problems, on the mend now though, fortunately. (It's an age thing !! :( )

I was looking on ebay tonight, and saw a Seiko Actus SS, I have always had a soft spot for these, not really seen any I like before, or they needed a lot of work on them.

It cost me 50 GBP which didn't seem too bad to me, i am sure someone will advise me, if it is otherwise :)

I don't like the Silicon strap, so i have the option of a leather one, which I have taken the guy up on.

Any idea's strap wise would be much appreciated, or if anyone has a spare SS or contemporay bracelet that they are willing to sell, pm me please. Thank you :)

I attach the Vendors picture, I will post better pics when it arrives
As usual, any comments adverse or otherwise are always welcome.
Thks Vyn.
:)

Attachments

·
Registered
6,712 Posts
well i am so sorry u have not been well...i will pray things will be better soon...you found a real beauty with this one...i like those myself...great find...God Bless John

·
Registered
507 Posts
You right with that strap - it looks awful. Leather is the only way to go.

Is the dial plain or does it have some kind of texturing along the lines the crosshatch or snowflake?

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Don't ignore brown!

Hi vynster,

Glad to hear you are feeling better, for the strap I would just say don't forget brown.

In a recent posting of one of my watches with a silver case and white dial, another member posted a picture of his on a medium-dark matte brown strap and it looked wonderful. It really 'warmed up" the look, compared to my black strap. :)

- Thomas

·
"The Prospector"
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Thank you all for your good wishes very kind of you all

Don't know yet about the dial soulboy, there was only one pic and it isn't that clear , I will post more pic when it arrives.

Thanks Jim hope you are ok :)

Thank you Thomas, cracking idea mid or dark brown, will make it less formal looking I guess.
Btw I love all of your buys, puts my single offering too shame :)

·
Registered
931 Posts
Aloha Vynster , Glad You're Feeling Better....

We have a mutual admiration of the Actus SS....I've been told that the SS stands for "second setting" I'm not sure...maybe you or other members can add something to that definition .

I've attached a pic of mine....[sorry for the bad pic]

DSC00008.JPG

·
"The Prospector"
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thk you both :). Yup I trolled through an old thread on here, as I was curious as to what SS meant, and I was reliably informed by several members, that it does in fact mean second setting, so I guess the watch has a hacking movement. Very nice pair of watches btw :)
Vyn

·
Registered
931 Posts
Thk you both :). Yup I trolled through an old thread on here, as I was curious as to what SS meant, and I was reliably informed by several members, that it does in fact mean second setting, so I guess the watch has a hacking movement. Very nice pair of watches btw :)
Vyn
Thank You , I forgot I had at least 1 more SS that a friend of mine gave me . He found out about my watch hobby and gave me 8 watches that he had bought over the years and were just sitting in a drawer .
4 Seiko mechanicals , 2 Seiko Quartz , and 2 other brand LCD's .
I really like this original Actus Bracelet...it's signed Seiko , Actus....
A bit of patina on the dial as you can see .

DSC00006.JPG

DSC00010.JPG

·
"The Prospector"
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yes doesn't it just as the watch isn'r here as yet I can't look for a decent strap, as I don't know what size I'm looking for as yet :(

·
Registered
21 Posts
Read somewhere SS meams Stop Second, reference to the hacking function of this series. Whatever it means, nice watch you got there.

·
"The Prospector"
4,648 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thk you as I understand it hacking means that the second hand also stops when the watch crown is pulled out too set the time, enabling you to set the time on the watch very accurately, I.e. To an atomic time source. Well that's how I understand it.....I may be wrong though.....

1 - 18 of 18 Posts