The Watch Site banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have lots of Seiko watches but I just won an auction on the bay for my first BM. It's a 4006-6037. Seller says it is running well but difficult to set, which hopefully just means it needs a simple service, which I am capable of doing myself. At least I think I am. I need to do all of the normal research before attempting to service a Bell, which for me is to download documents from Cousins and other places, study them well and watch as many YT videos as I can find. Is there anything particularly unique about the 4006 that tends to be a PITA to work with? I have so far overhauled 7009, 7S26, 6105, 6117 movements, all of which are pretty straight forward for my amateur hands.

In terms of collectibility, maybe the original Bell is the most collectable? The shape of this one that I just bought is not my favorite, but I think I got it for a great price. I find the 1968 "proof" model to be more attractive. What are the most coveted Bells?

Of course, I will study this forum and take the time to learn more. Thanks in advance for any advice.

SalTime
Watch Analog watch Watch accessory Clock Font

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have lots of Seiko watches but I just won an auction on the bay for my first BM. It's a 4006-6037. Seller says it is running well but difficult to set, which hopefully just means it needs a simple service, which I am capable of doing myself. At least I think I am. I need to do all of the normal research before attempting to service a Bell, which for me is to download documents from Cousins and other places, study them well and watch as many YT videos as I can find. Is there anything particularly unique about the 4006 that tends to be a PITA to work with? I have so far overhauled 7009, 7S26, 6105, 6117 movements, all of which are pretty straight forward for my amateur hands.

In terms of collectibility, maybe the original Bell is the most collectable? The shape of this one that I just bought is not my favorite, but I think I got it for a great price. I find the 1968 "proof" model to be more attractive. What are the most coveted Bells?

Of course, I will study this forum and take the time to learn more. Thanks in advance for any advice.

SalTime
View attachment 496456
Congratulations on that purchase, I was one of the Followers for that listing but declined to bid--Nothing against that watch, just another one I opted for.

·
Craftsman
2,320 Posts
Congrats on the Bell-Matic. Yes, 4006A are challenging movements to work on. The keyless works is very complex and serves a number of function including moving the inner alarm rotating ring bezel. I would say the complication is as complex if not more complex than working on a 6138 chronograph. Getting all the keyless works and alarm components in place and properly lubricated and setting the calendar plate in place is the biggest hurdle here. The train side is easy.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking forward to seeing how it goes! personally I've been interested but haven't done one yet. I know there are plenty of springs... just missed out on this 6027. went for ~$184 USD(x30% for fees, roughly 240$ Im guessing). Did anyone pick it up?

View attachment 496696
Not me. That's a looker right there. Looks like a Seiko 5 Sports from the period.

An update on the one I got is that it is running very well with no beat error and just a few seconds off, but at low amplitude. Lots of potential, but the motion/setting works is gummed up pretty bad. I opened it up but didn't disassemble it yet to see if there is rust in there, but what I can see looks very nice. What a beautiful movement these 4006's are. I was able to test the bell also and it works too. Such a cool watch. I can't wait to start on it, but it is pretty intimidating with all the springs and junk in there. But I'll just go slow and get there eventually.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another update. The crown gasket had hardened and I guess swelled a bit such that it could not be turned. I was so worried the motion/keyless was rusted but it is not. I cut out that o-ring, which seemed like bakelite, and it turns freely. The watch is functioning perfectly, with all features working. The crystal even polished up. I plan to do a full overhaul on it eventually but I also get to enjoy it some while I’m waiting to start that job, far away from any sources of water of course.
Watch Analog watch Clock Material property Rectangle

·
Registered
132 Posts
ha! that’s great, and why didn’t I think of it?! just last week I opened a 70s tissot seastar my gf’s aunt sent me, a watch her father used to wear before he passed. she couldn’t set it and the wind was near impossible. It had nice numbers on the timgrapher so i pulled the crown, completely melted gasket 😆

·
Registered
32 Posts
For the BellMatic, Rodico is your friend.
Anywhere you see a spring on the keyless works, Rodico has to go in first and secure it. Don't touch it until the Rodico is tacked in.

The only other finicky bit is getting the alarm hammer and alarm wheel lined up properly. As you already said, take it slow and you'll get it done.

SalTime

1 - 10 of 10 Posts