The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all. This is the one and only Bellmatic I own. I have had it two years but I have never really done anything to it. It has always run great and it was already pretty clean. Just recently I finally started to seriously take a look at the watch. I found the movement retaining spring was cracked so I removed it and quickly found out replacements are out there.
The next part I inspected was the alarm. I noticed when I pull the knob back the hammer moves back but if the watch is tipped forward the hammer just flops forward again.
I have rebuild movements of all calibers both automatics all the way up to quartz chronographs but I have never done anything with a 4006 movement.
I am looking for some quick simple things that maybe need special care or attention when working on the 4006 movement. The watch is nice and even the movement itself is very clean. I would hate to make a dumb mistake on such a nice watch and if there are a few simple things to take with on these I would really appreciate it. Here she is. Untouched I believe.

Michael

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Is this the one you were offering up for sale last week? Good to see you've decided to have a crack at that floppy hammer.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks John. I read through it so I have as much information as possible before I dive into it.

Yes Tristan it is one in the same. I thought one of the Bellmatic fans here might have wanted to get it back in shape but apparently from what I am seeing Bellmatics are not really selling that good even on eBay right now.
So I guess I have no choice but to fix it myself. I though it would be an easy sell as I am trying to condense my collection a bit by focusing on certain models and selling of ones I had less interest in like the Bellmatic.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It looks to be a nice example and it'll sell a lot easier on eBay if you can say everything is working ok. Is that crud on the dial dust, scratches or just scratches/dust on the crystal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
well you all have inspired me to take a closer look at these..they look very nice...how big are they?...how do they wear?...that is a beautiful example too..love the black dial

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Well Mike...i have a exact copy of your bellmatic...needs some work and a crystal...but it looks great....

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
i just got my first one..

Attachments

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
wow..JD Aruthur...you have found a real gem...post pics when you can

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
Hey does anyone have any original literature with original band?..

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mine has the original band. I will try to take some pictures of it tomorrow. It seems to still have some of the clear protective film on the case back. It has a loud ring compared to my other ones.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
wow...that would be great....i have a very nice one but no band or any idea what it should look like..thank you and God Bless John

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi,

My grandad left me a seiko 4006-7001 (original one with waterproof written on the back). It's a very nice watch and it has great sentimental value to me. Unfortunatley, it doesn't work anymore. Every repair shop I went told me there were no more prts for those watch, that there was nothing to be done to fix it... I thought I would ask on this specialized forum if there is any way to have it fixed somewhere in the world ? Or can I buy parts to have it fixed by someone ? Or would I be better to buy an old one that is still working and ask a repair shop to switch the mechanism ?

Thank you very much. This watch mesns a lot to me.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hi there,

your watch definitely can be brought to life.
How and at which cost greatly depends on the condition and/or what is currently wrong with it.

With a lot patience, even most parts can still be obtained NOS (new old stock).
However, the question whether this is necessary remains.

There are a good number of Seiko watch repair enthusiasts here on the forum, I am sure one of them will be able to help.

Until then - a clearer description of what is wrong would help and maybe a picture of the movement (caseback removed) if possible for you.

Best
H

1 - 17 of 17 Posts