The Watch Site banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

Registered
6139-7070, 4006-6011, Ben Sherman!!!
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So I bought myself a Bellmatic on Evilbay...It was described as 'working'. When it arrived, it was keeping good time, but the day did not change, and the day and date would not 'quickly' advance. My local watch mender wanted silly money just to look at it (拢250), and told me all watches of that age had plexiglass, so thats what they would fit! It was also filthy....so I appealed for help here, and several people gave advice, and offered to help.

Being a novice in vintage watches, I had to take a punt and chose someone, almost at random. This is the story, no watches were damaged in the telling.

On agreement of a pricing structure, i posted my watch off and waited....this is what was sent..

My craftsperson gave it a good look over, described the faults and I agreed to a re-price.

It was dirty, did I mention that...

The lume had gone.....

The dial support pins were....dodgy

It stayed in the hole....

The day activation pin (
next to the number 10) was misaligned

Soon stripped.....

Pin replaced correctly

Rebuild.....

During this process, i was kept up to date daily with pictures and a running report.

When it was rebuilt, it was time for a running check.....

Before....

After....

The final result....

This is now a stunning example of a lovely watch. Not bad for a watch that is 50 years old this year!

Sir Alan, (Simon, from this forum) is to be congratulated on his attention to detail, fine workmanship and communication. Thank you sir. 馃弳

Simon told me that he feels this watch is 9.8/10 for cosmetics and running performance. Just the strap to sort out then!

And thank you Simon for allowing me to use some of the 0.5 Gb worth of pics you sent to me.

I am eagerly awaiting the postman's visit ......

So there you have it, a bit of a journey. There was always the question should I buy an expensive 4006 with hidden faults, or take a punt on a cheap 4006, and just put up with the knowledge that there would be some things to sort out?

Well I am glad I chose the later, even though it cost me more than I was expecting. An expensive 4006 could still have had the same problems hidden away. I have today looked at Evilbay, and there are a lot of watches twice the price of mine with advertised faults.

If you were wondering the initial purchase was 拢105.00....Simons work....priceless.

Dave.

Special Member
Just Superb Results, Great Watch you have there ^^^

Registered
Congrats on your choice- to buy a cheap damaged and dirty watch and put it in working condition.
Wear it in good health
Dan

Registered
Congrats, very beautifull watch and ready to wear too. I have several bells myself, the JDM ones with 27J are very cool too :)

Registered
Love to read posts like this! Fantastic looking watch, beautiful linen dial. Sir Alan did an incredible job, there are some really skilled and dedicated people on this forum.

Thanks for sharing a very detailed post on this little Bells Journey! Enjoy it and if you need help finding the original bracelet, I'll be happy to keep an eye out!

Registered
Discussion Starter #6
PS....on its return, this was the packaging....pretty good I think
IMG_20210304_123009.jpg

Craftsman
I have that exact same Bell in my collection. Just a joy to look at and you picked one the best in the business (Simon) to restore it for you. You could not ask for anybody better. Well done and congrats. Enjoy the watch.

Reactions: Dave R

Registered
Discussion Starter #9

Special Member
I just picked up my first Bell at an auction in Turkey do awaiting its arrival. Thank you for this terrific thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Registered
"Hi the bellmatic looks great", I have had work carried out by simon, he is very good at what he does, and carried out a thorough service on my 6106-6439 which I am very grateful for. Its good to know that there are a people out there who take such pride in what they do, for us vintage enthusiasts.

Sent from my BBB100-2 using Tapatalk

1 - 11 of 11 Posts