The Watch Site banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So, I finally got my Proof / Proof in the mail! It was sold as non-working, DOA, so I wasn't expecting anything other than a nice mint dial, a case that was better than the photos, and probably a loose screw or two. What actually happened was a bit different. I got it out of the package, and since we were running errands I slipped it in my pocket. I took it out a few times, spun the weight, hit the chrono and nothing happened. Fine. I'd get it home, and probably find a few loose screws or who knows what inside. A while later, getting gas, I left it in the car. My wife who didn't know any better, picked it up and hit the chrono button, and it started working. The whole watch started up. DOA my butt! I did find a few problems - it needs to be regulated, and there is a problem with a chrono - it won't kick the subregister hand over. The second hand comes around to about 5 seconds before 12/0 and stops. When I had the crystal off I could either give the second hand a nudge, and it would kick the subregister hand over one notch, or if I moved the subregister hand myself, the second hand would start moving again.

So I popped a new crystal in, did a light regulation, put on a band from the box, and we went to a picnic.

Original Seller's pic:

Fresh out of the bag in my wife's hand (note kitty tattoo)

Crystal off - just LOOK at that dial!

Another dial shot:

Movement

ON my wrist, new crystal and band.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nice watch & Congra ! ^-^
I really enjoy this kind of venture type essay about experiences in renovating & finding special watches. It can really tell the story and let others feel the whole experience. Hope more to come. O:)

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Absolutely! I'm going to keep things going and figure out the issues. I'm curious about the chrono problem - could it be that this is an indicator of a clutch wear problem?? We were just talking about this in another thread. How would a weakened clutch assembly manifest itself?

·
Registered
4,564 Posts
Nice watch, I have a resist black dial I am playing with at the moment.

Check the 6139 data sheet available on this site for ways to resolve the seconds issue with the hand stopping at 58, this is a common and normally easily resolved issue. It has nothing to do with clutch wear you will be pleased to hear :) Read this manual it has a section that specifically describes this problem and the two different common causes: http://www.watchuseek.com/seikocitizen/SeikoTechnicalManuals/6139A.pdf Check page 12 for the section on this.

I have fixed a couple of these with the same issue and both times it was the chronograph finger on the center seconds hand that was engaging too broadly with the minute counter gear which creates too much resistance for the watch to be able to continue running correctly.

Best of luck and hope you can get it fixed, the hardest part really is getting the winding bridge off and back together again. These are great watches.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome!

Tomorrow is the day - the whole schedule is cleared from dawn to dusk - nothing but watch work. Oh, well, the bathroom needs cleaning. But whatever. MOST of tomorrow is set aside for watch work.

I've pulled apart the winding bridge a few times, so I'm not worried about that, but this will still be a steep learning curve.

Chrono work, regulation, day wheel!

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the only current issue is that one of the cats is camping on my workbench. ???

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
well, I wussed out. This watch is just so nice. It's one of only a few of my watches that I know for a fact is dead stock, and it's in great shape. I just can't do the work myself, so I'm going to get a pro to look at it.

Reading the service manual, going through the steps, the watch's clutch ring is slipping. The chrono hand stops at :58, but the balance keeps going. That's a slipping clutch. If the clutch were solid and it was a gear/finger problem, the balance would stop. Again, this is according to the repair manual. Has anyone else run across this in real life?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts