The Watch Site banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Back in September 2014 I found a NOS gold-plated 1966 Seikomatic-R, a stunningly beautiful watch that looks dressy to me, I guess because of the gold plating.

But this second example gives me the impression of being a real "business class" watch. Not a low-level employee style, more like a watch the stern boss-man would wear.

Aww, look! A cute medium-sized EMS bag!

Click for Big Image

Ahh, the plastic grocery bag! The astute observer will know already what seller this is from!

Click for Big Image

Bonus! I actually received two grocery bags, along with the local newspaper.

Click for Big Image

The usual bagged and bubble-wrapped bundle is inside the newspaper.

Click for Big Image

It definitely looks like I got a watch!

Click for Big Image

Yes, it is a 1967 Seikomatic-R 8305-8030, in stainless steel this time, with an 30 jewel 8305B movement, which I found out (the hard way) is an automatic-only movement, not also hand-wind-able like the 8305C!

Click for Big Image

Here is a closer look, and while not NOS, it is very clean. A couple of interesting tidbits are that the 8305 movement allows quick-set of the date in both directions and has a integrated "inversion-roller" winding mechanism, which although more complex, is thinner and supposed to be smoother than the ubiquitous "Magic-Lever" system seen in so many Seiko automatics.

Click for Big Image

Here is the crown side.

Click for Big Image

The common side.

Click for Big Image

The clasp of the non-Seiko bracelet. An interesting bracelet link design, but this bracelet is very short, like for a 6 inch writs.

Click for Big Image

And the case-back picture.

Click for Big Image

That bracelet was not only very short it was grossly dirty!! After I got it off the watch I went and washed my hands before I would touch the new strap I was going to put on, I mean "Yuck!"

But now with the smooth black leather strap, I think the watch looks very "sharp", very business-like, but with a classy "well to do" look.

Click for Big Image

I took these pictures last night, and I have been wearing the watch at work today, where it has been easy to read and seems very accurate.

Thanks for looking!

- Thomas

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Great catch, Thomas!

The 8305-8030 is one of the nicest calibre 83 models, IMO - I like everything about that watch, be it case shape, dial/markers, hands, crown... Unfortunately, I haven't yet managed to find one for myself (i. e., on original bracelet), so I do in fact envy you a little :)

Congrats and enjoy!
Best
H

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you sir!

Thank you Hermann,

Coming from a gentleman of your taste and distinction, the complement is greatly appreciated. :039:

But if you get an early one, don't try to hand-wind it! :p

- Thomas

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Uht-oh, are you sure?

Thanks, Thomas :)

The non-handwindable calibre 83s are easily distinguished by their recessed 4 o'clock crown - if that's what you were referring to :)

Best
H

Hmm, my 1967 Seikomatic-R, with the crown at 3 o'clock, will not hand-wind, and when I asked the seller about that, he said that it had the 8305B movement inside, which does not hand-wind, compared to the 8305C movement that does hand-wind.

I had a trouble finding any corroborating information online, until I found this listing:

http://www.seikodigitalwatches.com/seikocal2.htm

which seemed to confirm his statement.

- Thomas

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Interesting about the lack of hand wind on your 8305B. The large crown would suggest otherwise. I have an 8306A from '68 and it does have this. I think it has a "roller clutch" rather than the magic lever system.

Mine is a Sealion CR220, and not a "Business".

Unfortunately I can't find the photos at the moment, but it would be interesting to compare movement shots.

Edit: Found 'em

( I don't have the right tool at home to get the back off in order to show the other side of the movement, under the rotor).

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hi Thomas,

you are of course right - the 8305A&B cannot be handwound, whereas all other calibre 83 variants (8305C, 8306, 8325, 8346) can.

Here are two movement pictures, look at the differences around the "crown wheel" - the 8305B has not connection to the crown, the instructions on the movement are for a watchmaker using a screwdriver to wind the barrel. The 8305C has a different setup allowing winding via the crown:

8305B.jpg
8305C 30J (7).jpg

The puzzler for me here is the following: I also have a 8305 from 1967, but it has the 8305C inside. I also had (sold this week) a 8306A from 1965 - so both watches are equipped with handwindable calibre 83 variants.

It seems - for whatever reason - that Seiko manufactured the non-handwindable 8305B in parallel? Interesting.

Best
Hermann

1 - 7 of 7 Posts