The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,390 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

Happy Super Bowl Sunday!

Recently I posted about my 1973 "Acid Trip" Seiko VANAC. A wild looking watch with a "crazy" dial texture and faceted crystal.

A pretty distinctive looking watch, so why would ANYONE need two? :-D

Click for Big Image

It seems like I either get extremely tidy brown-paper wrapped bundles, with a plastic organizer inside, or I get these grocery bags with the local newspaper inside!?! :-D

Click for Big Image

Wow, it looks like a big sale is going on! ;-)

Click for Big Image

Have any of you been to that store? Someday I would love to visit Japan...

Click for Big Image

Oh, heh, earth to Major Tom! There's a watch in there!

Click for Big Image

Yes, there is! A 1973 Seiko VANAC 5626-723A, a King Seiko variant with a nice 28,800 bph movement that hacks and handwinds and has a quickset, but as it is a 56xx series, you must not use the quickset from about 9 pm to 4 am, or you will break the stupid little unobtainable plastic clutch.

Click for Big Image

There is that wild dial texture and crystal, but this one is beat-up compared to my pristine first example. Therefore it was fairly inexpensive.

Click for Big Image

Here is the nice "KS" signed crown, but more importantly check out those juicy removable links on the bracelet!! :-D Woohoo! I'm a crazy man!

Click for Big Image

The non-royal "subject" side.

Also, check out the incredibly long "hinge" below the clasp!! What's up with that?!? It makes the bracelet much shorter when closed than open, and I have never seen one that long on any other watch. I guess it is to make the watch easier to take on and off, but it's weird!

Click for Big Image

A picture for the wacky "claspers" out there. ;-)

Click for Big Image

And the mandatory vintage watch case-back picture.

I didn't notice the little Suwa on the back before, that's cool!

Click for Big Image

Okay, you've probably figured it out, right?

If you remember, the bracelet on my first one was too short, and this watch really looks good on its orignal bracelet, especially with its "shrouded" lugs.

So how I am supposed to get extra links for a unique bracelet like this, that is 42 years old??

Well, about a week after I bought my first example, I saw this identical model go up for sale, in much worse condition, and geting little interest.

SHAZZAAM! My secret plan was born!! <Jaba the Hutt voice> Bwa-ha-ha-ha-ha!

And now, here is my newly extended groovy VANAC bracelet, comfortable, and oh so stylish! That clasp really is pretty cool, too!

Click for Big Image

And here is the watch finally revealed to its full beauty. I mean "Sock it to me!" man, isn't it amazing? Don't you think it looks good on the original bracelet?

(Go ahead, click on the "Big Image" link!)

Click for Big Image

So, now, is there anyone out there with 4 inch wrists, looking for a beat-up '73 VANAC 5626-723A at a good price? :) Because I know where you can get one! With (most of) the bracelet too!

Oh, on a completely different subject, I know many people think about food on S.B. Sunday, and here is a side project I was working on yesterday. I often go to my favorite Sushi bar to watch the game (I'm the only one there!), but maybe this time I'll just stay home and make some garlic bread!

Click for Big Image

I hope you enjoyed the show, and have a super day, thanks for looking!

- Thomas

·
Registered
3,311 Posts
Very enjoyable posts indeed :) I got my two Vanacs from European sellers, usually larger wrists, more links still on the bracelet :)

·
Registered
6,300 Posts
that is a beautiful watch...reminds me of one i had...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,934 Posts
Hi Thomas,

Another nice Vanac! One of my favourite KS.

Here's mine, I bought from a seller in South Korea about 8 years ago. It really is lovely. I really like the 70's style and the faceted crystal. Amazingly it still has its original full length bracelet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts