The Watch Site banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been working on this little Mustang Swiss watch that belongs to another member. It was bought as a dashboard curio to accompany his Ford Mustang. It came to me sans crown, not working and needing a new acrylic crystal.

I picked up the replacement crown and crystal from Cousins by a lucky piece of guesswork and thought a strip down, clean and oil of this simple little handwinder would get it going again. But although appearing to be screwed to the gear train plate the balance and pallet bridges are not removable so assembling the barrel, gears, balance, pallet fork and some of the intermediate gears would have to be done in one go, I did not think I could do this so did not:) Long story short the hairspring was dirty and its frequency very fast so I had to chance immersing the whole movement in lighter fuel and then oiling the jewels after. It seemed to work.

Its a funny old movement, well not what I am used to, being constructed like a miniature clock with plates separated with pillars and a pin lever anchor. crudely stamped out of sheet metal but having fifteen jewels.

It does not have a center wheel and canon pinion instead the hour and minute wheels are concentric and locate on a dowel pin.

Anyway the reason for this post is this, its a small watch but the dial and patina is to die for

I was not all that enamoured at first but now I don't want to give it back:biggrin:

·
Registered
3,899 Posts
Mike thats a beautiful dial in that one. It is very nice to see also.
It would be very nice to keep even if not worn at all, I would
keep it. for some reason I take a fancy to stuff like that.
Aloha

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
What year is it do you think? The dial is kinda art nouveau style but it can't be that old? Sweet watch though, thumbs up from me.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts