The Watch Site banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm typically a big fan of NATO straps - as a younger guy in a group of friends who aren't too into watches I can get away with wearing more eye-catching timepieces, and a fun, multi-colored strap helps with that. However, now that I'm getting more into vintage watches I've notice that a lot of them have thicker cases that sit much more pronounced off the wrist.

The easy solution would be to switch over to ZULU straps since they don't have the added thickness of the NATO keeper strap (I know that you can also wear a NATO by putting your wrist btw the main piece and the keeper, but I find this causes the watch to sit at a weird angle - real first world problem, I know.) Does anyone know of good quality, multi-colored ZULU straps? Most of the ones I've come across are a solid color; is there a particular reason why NATO straps are more colorful/playful compared to ZULUs?

·
Registered
502 Posts
You can make a nato two layered strap into one layer super easily. The main difference between a nato style strap and zulu is the hardware, and weave of nylon. Not the layers of the nylon.

·
33,505 Posts
That’s a one piece strap? It looks like a standard NATO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Like a standard NATO but without the keeper so only one layer is under the watch. You can also convert any standard NATO to a one-piece strap by cutting off the keeper strap, and there are ample instructions for doing that on the net.

·
33,505 Posts
That’s a one piece strap? It looks like a standard NATO

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I stand corrected. On second inspection, from their description they do appear to be standard NATO's.

For sure a one-piece without keepers can be found in the Haveston Service Series. (Again, I have no affiliation with this vendor.)

https://www.haveston.com/3-service-series

1 - 7 of 7 Posts