The Watch Site banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I recently purchased a 1970 5601-9000 Lord Matic. This is the model with no caseback - the movement is accessed by removing the crystal and dial.
I got it quite cheap and it's in surprisingly good condition for its age. It wasn't keeping good time so I decided try a different watchmaker here in Sydney to see what he is like. His price was reasonable and his turnaround was quicker than the other places I normally go to (who can take up to 6 months to service a watch).
I got the watch back this afternoon and noticed as I shook it, it felt like something was loose and hitting the side - it was a heavy impact (for a watch) so I wondered it the rotor was loose. It seemed to go pretty well so I reserved judgement until I got home. Upon inspection at home I could actually hear the sound of the impact - a sort of clanking sound. Then I noticed that when I tipped the watch (with 12 uppermost) towards me, the movement and dial would move and sit against the crystal.
Obviously the movement has not been fixed back in place properly. The only way I could see that the watchmaker missed this is if he hand wound it to start it without ever shaking it. Yes, it's careless but at the same time I can see how easily it could happen.
I will give him the benefit of the doubt and return it for him to correct, however I am concerned about parts - or lack of.

This is a question for people familiar with this movement and case.

Is there a part that holds the movement in place that watchmaker may have lost, or is it a fairly simple fix?

Here is a link to pictures of a 5601-9000 from thewatchguy.co.uk (fantastic blog btw - well worth a visit), as no thread is complete without pics!

Thanks all for your help.

http://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/library?action=show_photos&wat_id=988

·
Registered
6,359 Posts
well these are a bit fiddly to get that movement locked back in place...i hope you are able to get it sorted quick...i know it took me a little bit to figure it out...God Bless John

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
1 - 6 of 6 Posts