The Watch Site banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anybody recommend a movement holder? I have a cheap one and it's rubbish, it doesn't hold the movement securely. I'm looking for something sensibly priced, that will fit any normal sized Seiko movement.

Ideally something that supports the movement from the sides and from underneath, as this would be really useful when fitting the hands to a watch with a floating dial (i.e. a modded dial with the feet removed and so not connected to the movement).

Thank you all m'dears, cheers, Sam.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Re: Movement holder - help please

It has just occurred to me that I could use watch case without the crystal fitted as a handy holder for the movement and (floating) dial when fitting hands....?

Still looking at movement holders though.... anybody got a good 'un they're prepared to recommend?

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

You can get them from an auction site we all know or cousins.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I bought a new holder, I've not got any Bergeon tools so I thought I'd see how good they are as this is one of their more common, cheaper items.

It's well made but nothing special compared to say, Japanese precision engineering. I was slightly disappointed to see obvious imperfections in the finish (see third pic).

Being a universal type holder it isn't a natural fit to the 6309 at all. A holder made specifically for the 6309 would definitely be better. Mounting the movement dial side up isn't possible without first removing the oscillating weight. Even then there isn't any natural drop-in position that holds the movement level, so some fiddling is required (compare left and right sides in last pic), and you have to be careful to avoid clamping and damaging the balance assembly.

However, once in place the movement is held securely, and won't fall out under normal screwdriver pressure or when moving the holder - job done.

Thanks +1 to Dynamo for the recommendation.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts

Bergeon stuff is a too expensive :(
Sure I've got Bergeon movement holders, automatic oilers etc but only from when that was all I could get and as a watchmaker I use them through the day.

These days you can get copies that are just as good for so little $ :)

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Cousins have this holder for £14 + P&P which isn't silly expensive, but there's an element of paying for the name I think. Some of their stuff is definitely comedy prices though.

Any recommendations for alternative brands or suppliers would be very welcome - please post 'em, cheers

·
2,236 Posts
I have a Bergeon 4040-P ......... the 'nylon' version. It's a decent bit of kit I guess, but doesn't fit the Seikos I work on at all well. A right PITA to be honest until all of the fragile peripheral parts are off the main plate.

Often thought that the best long term solution would be to craft custom holders from a piece of nylon rod, or even wood.

I shall have to send Tiger some drawings..........he's done enough shrouds.........time for a new challenge ;D

·
Registered
301 Posts
Unless you are using a dedicated holder for the movement you are working on then it can sometimes be tricky getting the movement to sit right using these universal type holders. The cheap Chinese holders aren't worth the bother as the ones I've used can't even sit with all four corners touching a flat surface let alone hold the movement securely at the same time... Sure, Bergeon tools are generally overpriced but when it comes to the basic tools such as screwdrivers, loupes, spring bar tools and movement holders etc then the premium is very small and sometimes a bargain compared to the other 'quality' offerings.

·
Registered
3,479 Posts
Dynam0humm said:
Unless you are using a dedicated holder for the movement you are working on then it can sometimes be tricky getting the movement to sit right using these universal type holders. The cheap Chinese holders aren't worth the bother as the ones I've used can't even sit with all four corners touching a flat surface let alone hold the movement securely at the same time... Sure, Bergeon tools are generally overpriced but when it comes to the basic tools such as screwdrivers, loupes, spring bar tools and movement holders etc then the premium is very small and sometimes a bargain compared to the other 'quality' offerings.

I think its good to read reviews, find out what others use etc and go by that.
Other companies are making really good "basic tools" now without having to pay Bergeon prices.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Amazing work again haloeight. :clap:
Do send me a pm when you're done!
Oh and only 1 screw left and you've finished that movement (or if you've just started-grab a beer from me!)
Very kind regards,
Tom

·
Registered
194 Posts
haloeight said:
I feel everyone's pain with poorly fitting movement holders. I have genuine Bergeon and the Chinese copy ones, neither do that well.

I'm developing a custom designed one that actually works -

Wow that looks perfect! Make sure you post when it is ready. I'd definately be interested in buying one.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts