The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Special Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
"It's amazing how a little band of stainless enhances the look" was a comment by member scubarob99 on an earlier discussion and I thought a very appropriate comment.

I purchased these 2 Speed-Timer bracelets from a seller in Japan. Both the Early and Later Versions. One is marked to the End Links 6139-600 and from what I have been able to learn they were used on the early 6000 Speed-Timers. Later versions were marked XAA 301 and used on the the later 6000, 6002 Sunrise, and 603X Coke Speed-Timers.

Early version is complete with no removed links and looks Near NOS. XAA 301 is missing one link and looks like it has a little stretch to the center links so this bracelet was most likely installed and worn on a watch. Both bracelets have the original JDM How to Remove Links Foil Label still glued to the Clasp Blades.

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
wow. little time capsules.

·
Registered
2,217 Posts
Reactions: Grammarofdesign

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
I meant every word! Those things are worth their weight in gold! Last decent price I saw was a couple of weeks ago, when this sold for $160 sans end links. The Sportsmatic was a bonus!

Rob

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,671 Posts
Kyle, I think you got taken. Did you get a Certificate of Authentication?
You better send them over for a full inspection and if they're Fakes I'll dispose of them for you!
:)

·
Special Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Thanks for all the Kind Comments. Speed-Timer bracelets in any condition are always hard to find.

... and More Double Trouble ...

Looking through my Spare Bracelet Stash I found these 6139 Stelux H-Link Bracelets purchased last year (without End Links). Very well made (IMO much better than the originals) with wider and thicker links. I installed Larry's Uncle Seiko 6139 End Links and Larry's End Links look fantastic - thicker heavier gauge stainless steel and nice brushed finish.

The Stelux H-Link Bracelets are Thicker and with heavier gauge end links makes a nice combination and adds a little higher quality to wearing a 6139. The Stelux are also longer length and can fit up to a 8" inch wrist. I also have extra original Stelux H-Links so they can be added to increase the length so the bracelet can fit even the Largest Gorilla Size Wrist.

·
Registered
567 Posts
I stumbled into one of those Stelux bracelets about a month ago ... bought two halves in separate auctions and didn't realize what they were until I saw the Stelux logo. I agree, they are much better made than the OE Seiko H-Links.

·
Special Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I never fully understood if the Stelux H-Link Bracelets were considered to be OEM Seiko supplied and installed originally on Seiko 6139's, replacement bracelets, or a later aftermarket add on ???

·
Premium Member
10,279 Posts
Kyle, I think you got taken. Did you get a Certificate of Authentication?
You better send them over for a full inspection and if they're Fakes I'll dispose of them for you!
:)

Ugh. How dare you say "dispose". ;) My stomach churns when I think about how many of these bracelets were separated from their watches in the day and eventually got tossed. I mean, how do you compete with a Speidel twist-o-flex, right?

·
Special Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have most of my 6139s on original Seiko OEM H-Link Bracelets and decided it was about time to try re-brushing the finish. I always try to clean my bracelets when I receive them but I have not attempted re-brushing on Vintage H-Links. I've re-brushed many stainless bracelets and they have always turned out nice. I simply use a green scotch brite pad and brush hard trying to maintain a straight vertical direction and grain. Some have deeper scratches but I'm just going to leave them be without sanding the metal- not looking for Perfection just trying to remove the years of wear and dulled flat finishes.

Does anyone do anything different or have a different method for re-brushing bracelets? Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
6,226 Posts
When it's got that "meh" look where you can't tell if it was brushed and got worn down or polished and uniformly scuffed to dull, I break out the soft synthetic 3M sanding blocks, 150 grit to a light 320 grit. Sometimes "crocus paper" polishing grade of abrasive paper (something like an emory cloth but different)

·
Special Member
2,781 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Inspection, Cleaning, and Preparation....

All of these H-Link 6139 Bracelets are in good shape but cosmetically Well-Worn and as Jon said they have that "meh" look - uniformly scuffed, dull, and lifeless. Tom restored a number of 6139s for me last year and did a Fantastic Job on the Cases - sympathetically refinished, circular re-brushed, and lightly polished sides. The 6139s turned out Beautiful so I think the Bracelets deserve Better. I will continue cleaning them again today (it already looks like my initial cleaning when they arrived was not very good as the cleaning water has quickly blackened and I'm only on the cleaning of the 1st H-link bracelet).

Cleaning Today and Re-Brushing Starts Tomorrow :)

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
I cleaned a "clean" 6139 bracelet yesterday and was really surprised how much crud came out of it, I use a ultrasonic do you Kyle or do you just brush ?

Inspection, Cleaning, and Preparation....

All of these H-Link 6139 Bracelets are in good shape but cosmetically Well-Worn and as Jon said they have that "meh" look - uniformly scuffed, dull, and lifeless. Tom restored a number of 6139s for me last year and did a Fantastic Job on the Cases - sympathetically refinished, circular re-brushed, and lightly polished sides. The 6139s turned out Beautiful so I think the Bracelets deserve Better. I will continue cleaning them again today (it already looks like my initial cleaning when they arrived was not very good as the cleaning water has quickly blackened and I'm only on the cleaning of the 1st H-link bracelet).

Cleaning Today and Re-Brushing Starts Tomorrow :)

1 - 20 of 68 Posts