The Watch Site banner

Monta Triumph

3K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Chazman1946 
#1 ·
Triumph has landed and all I can say is……….HOLY Smokes…it’s even better then I expected! Photos don't do it justice at all!

$1,550 delivered

Case: 38.5mm

Case Height: 9mm

Lug to Lug: 47mm

Lug Width: 20mm

Sappphire Crystal

With 7 under layers AR

Hands and Markers Rhodiun plated

Screw down crown with 150m WR

Movement Top Grade Sellita SW300 (their version of the ETA 2892-a2) regulated to +-5 seconds a day accuracy

Even after watching every Youtube review on this watch…. Including the latest one from Maverick (aka Mav’s Dad) which he proclaimed it to be the “Best Micro-Brand Watch EVER!” and announced it as his pick of the 2018 “Watch of the Year”. I still wasn’t expected to be blown away by this watch as I am.

1st off, I was holding off putting my Oris 65 up on the for sale forum, because it may have been to small on the wrist then I would like, being a 38.5mm case size.

The Oris is now up on the block, this watch has a lot more wrist presence then my Sinn 556i ever had. Has as much wrist presence as Rolex Explorer 39mm or a newer Datejust.

2nd I was kind of skeptical that the Blue dial maybe a little “Too Blue” and not be as legible or versatile looking as the black dial version. Wrong again, in indoor lighting the dial goes to a deep Navy Blue and really isn’t that discernble a being blue, highly legible, it isn’t until you get outdoors into direct Sun Light does it really pop!

Fit and finish? On par with my Breitling, and more then a little better then my Rolex 16610 Sub.

Bracelet, fits right out of the box with the micro adjustment set to the tightest fit, watch still is slightly looser then I want, may try taking out a link and then toying with the micro-adjustments again.

Bracelet is outstanding, articulating links, all corners and edges beveled and polished, Finish on the bracelet is buttery smooth, rivals my Breitling which are known to have the best bracelets on the market.

The only issue I have had with this watch is the winding of the crown, which seems to kind of stuck up in places when hand winding. Called Justin the owner of Monta and he said to try it ouf for a few days and if there was real problem send it back they have a two year warranty.

I could definitely see this as a daily wearer or “One” watch choice if I was so inclined.

Will report on accuracy tomorrow this time.

Once again, this watch blows me away, competes very well with much higher brands such as Rolex and Omega, which main differences are in name cache and in house movements. This is an $1,500 watch batting very well in the $3,500 to $4,000 leagues.

Side by side comparison of my Breitling 43mm Chronograph against the Monta

See less See more
#4 ·
Thank you for posting this. I have been following what Monta is doing since the 1st gen OceanKing. I am very tempted to sell my Halios Seaforth and get the gilt dial new OceanKing. Although I think the Triumph is a better size for me. But then I can't help wondering if I should just save a bit more and get a 114270.

Bottom line is that I think they are making some very nice watches and I am confused.

#5 · (Edited)
Thank you for posting this. I have been following what Monta is doing since the 1st gen OceanKing. I am very tempted to sell my Halios Seaforth and get the gilt dial new OceanKing. Although I think the Triumph is a better size for me. But then I can't help wondering if I should just save a bit more and get a 114270.

Bottom line is that I think they are making some very nice watches and I am confused.

To save up for a Rolex 114270, you would have come up with about another $5K of saving. I own a Rolex 16610, and have looked at the Explorer 36mm and 39mm many a time, each time I was about to pull out my wallet, the lack of date window blocked that move.

The only, and I mean only benefit the Explorer has over the Monta is name cache, and the in-house movement bragging rights. Both to me meaningless when comparing these watches side by side.

I have drank the Rolex Kool Aid once, and will never drop that kind of money again on just having a brand name.

The fit, finish on the Monta is actually superior to the Explorer, the Monta has 7 bottom layers of AR on it's sapphire crystal while the reflection ridden Explorer has none. The Monta has a thinner more comfortable case, the Monta is 150m WR, compared to the Explorers 100m, Monta has a date window, the Explorer doesn't!

Movements are comparable also, there have been many articles by watch makers comparing the Rolex 3135 to the Eta 2892-a2, and in one the author preferred the 2892 over the Rolex. The only pluses for the newer version 3135 is the Parachrom hairspring and the longer run time.

Of course the Sellita SW300 in the Monta is also an upgrade over the ETA 2892-a2 it has 25 jewels instead of 21, and also has a proprietary hairspring as well. While the Monta movement isn't COSC certified as a Chronometer, it is a top grade movement that has been tuned to one.

Mine is running at +1 seconds a day, since the minute I received it!

Bottom line................. if these watches were the same price at $1,550 and the Rolex Kool Aid was taken out of the equation, I would still chose the Monta, it's that good!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.