The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First arrival of the year, This Ramon special 7S26 0350 mashed up Monster arrived at work today.
I can see why its given the name "Monster", its a big beast.
DSCF0246.jpg

DSCF0244.jpg

·
Registered
261 Posts
i own one of these and those guys are tough!!! but not to drop on hard surface!!! i swim, work, shower and live with mine...keeps decent time for 7s26. i bought oem strap from one of our members here... nice work!!

·
Registered
198 Posts
Looking forward to see the transformation! It does seem to have had a rough time ...

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ive been at it with Brasso for the last 2 hrs John, i think its going to need a new crystal.

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Monster Mash update

Ive removed the movement and wound it up manualy, it looks clean, seems to be running strong and is keeping good time. Im a strong believer in, "if it aint broke dont fix it" so ill leave it "asis" for the moment. The dial has a scratch caused by the broken crystal, im undecided, leave it or touch it in with a black marker? In either case it will still show.
The bezel is stuck and wont rotate, and seems to covered with some sort of varnish, after several goes through the ultrasonic cleaner, spending a day bathed in penetrating oil, then going back through the ultrasonic cleaner a few times, its freed off and rotates although its a bit on the stiff side, and the varnish has all but gone. I am unable to remove the bezel from the case and have wrecked a couple of Mrs Biggins best kitchen knives in the process, it seems that someone before me has had the same problem, and has left a few scars on the case, alas ive added a few more.

Some parts arrived this morning, genuine crystal, crown and stem, and a bracelet. so ive spent the afternoon tinkering.

DSCF0248.jpg
I had to fit the new crystal with the bezel still fitted. Buttocks firmly clenched it went in with out problems. Phewwww
DSCF0250.jpg
The case has a some deep dings and dents particularly on the lugs nearest the crown, ive filed out the burrs, and cleaned up as much as i can, but i need to work more on my case restoration skills before i go any further.
DSCF0251.jpg
Its all back together, im just waiting for a new set of OE hands to arrive from [email protected] and then fit the bracelet.
xyz1 003.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Looking good Ivor :)

Can you replace the crystal without removing bezel ?
On this occasion yes.
Ive been struggling to remove the bezel and assumed that it was the broken crystal that was causing problems. With the movement removed i gave the crystal a little tap from inside the case and it fell out in a complete circle with the gasket holding it together. Alas the bezel had no extra clearance and is still impossible to remove.
Working on the principal that if the broken crystal and gasket came out in one piece then it should go back, i gave it a go. Yes it was a buttock cheek clencher but it did go in after several attempts. It has to be aligned perfectly so it will just pass by the bezel

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
I was watching that one too...it looks great now...great work...

·
Registered
73 Posts
Love seeing one brought back to life!

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Finale

At last my monster is alive.
New hands and fat bars arrived today, and i fitted them this evening.

Conclusion.
For what its cost to bring this watch back to life i could have got a nos one without the dings and scratches, but then again id be frightened to wear a nos one for fear of knocking or marking it.
I could have put a cheap AM bracelet/strap on it to keep the cost down, but having fitted all genuine Seiko parts to it, i decided on a genuine bracelet.
I get my enjoyment out of repairing old clunkers like this one, rather than just buying a good clean watch.

Time for some pics.

Before
DSCF0244.jpg
After
xyz1 008.jpg
xyz1 007.jpg
And the compulsory wrist shot
xyz1 009.jpg

·
Premium Member
2,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A labour of love Ivor :) and a good result.

ps: I seem to remember saying it was a little pricey when you first saw it ? :)
Thanks John.
Yes you did say it was a little pricey, but some bugger kept bidding it up and i kinda got the bit between my teeth.:mad:
The crown and stem was twice the price of a 7002/skx007:eek:, but the bracelet is what pushed the cost right up.
I dont regret it, in fact im very pleased with it.

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
it looks great...great job..

1 - 17 of 17 Posts