The Watch Site banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've got a 6119. Serviced movement, good case, OK crystal, and totally totally roached dial, day & date wheels, and hands.

Has anyone ever modded one of these?

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
wow, look at how faded mine is compared to the one you have.

Holy crap. And why does mine have a black retaining ring instead of an orange one?

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Spencer said:
And why does mine have a black retaining ring instead of an orange one?
that would be the mod. ;D

If you look closely you'll see that the brown one has had it's black besel insert replaced for a brown one as well.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Spencer said:
wow, look at how faded mine is compared to the one you have.

Holy crap. And why does mine have a black retaining ring instead of an orange one?
Yours has a black bezel insert because I did both the orange and the brown in custom hand-applied enamel for Gabe. They were black as well.

The black is a plastic ring that on yours can be carefully milled and polished to its original look. Or it can be picked out and enamel applied.

Here's another of my own mods with the bezel matched to the dial on a vintage Seiko bracelet...

And my orange version on leather...

[img]

And last, an odd little duck with transparent blue in the bezel to pick-up the radiant blue dial...

[img]

·
Registered
994 Posts
Jonathan you are amazing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :)

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
oooooooo...

So I can pull that ring, fill the space with enamel, hand-polish to a finish?? Nice.

All I need now are a new inner bezel, hands, dial, day wheel and date wheel! :D

Oh well - all projects start somewhere, right?

Jonathan, you are a miracle worker. I'm tempted to just mail you this thing along with a blank check and a note that says "Go nuts"

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Spencer, I might have a spare indicator as well as dial. Will have to dig around a bit. I still haven't done one of these in blue and would like to explore that choice.

Also, I might be able to use this dial for a mod, back to orange but the Seiko logo and other text will be lost. The imprinted chapter ring might be able to be saved, too.

It's just too hard to tell without the watch in hand. If you want to send it over, I'm happy to have a look and offer an opinion or two.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
swedefreak said:
Spencer, I might have a spare indicator as well as dial. Will have to dig around a bit. I still haven't done one of these in blue and would like to explore that choice.

Also, I might be able to use this dial for a mod, back to orange but the Seiko logo and other text will be lost. The imprinted chapter ring might be able to be saved, too.

It's just too hard to tell without the watch in hand. If you want to send it over, I'm happy to have a look and offer an opinion or two.

I'll package it up and send it out.

By the way the dial you sent came in today, and the watch is on my wrist as we speak! It looks GREAT. Everything worked out perfectly. I'll mail out this 6119 to you tomorrow - go nuts, bill me for what you do.

As Fat Tony on the Simpsons says when asked if he should shoot Homer "Gangland style or execution style" "Listen to your heart" :D

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Glad that dial did the trick. Even though it's not a "resist" it's a nice example with clean lume. Pix?

I'll let you know when then 6119 lands and give you a couple ideas on what can be done.

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
swedefreak said:
Glad that dial did the trick. Even though it's not a "resist" it's a nice example with clean lume. Pix?

I'll let you know when then 6119 lands and give you a couple ideas on what can be done.

I'll take a bunch tomorrow. Right now I'm in test phase with it to see if my build works. It looks really nice though. It's got some choice elements: original crystal in great shape, original tapered H-link band with all it's links, very nice inner and outer bezel ring, case in original polish. It's sweet looking, an easy 90% or better.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Jonathan, all your magic with enamel is starting to give me ideas. It's getting harder and harder to ignore the voices!!! :D

Thanks again for all the wonderful work you do.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
Isthmus said:
Jonathan, all your magic with enamel is starting to give me ideas. It's getting harder and harder to ignore the voices!!! :D

Thanks again for all the wonderful work you do.
Thanks, Gabe. Your note makes me think of one of my eldest daughter's comments at the height of her rebellion: "You're upset because the voices in my head only talk to me!"

·
Banned
5,181 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
swedefreak said:
Thanks, Gabe. Your note makes me think of one of my eldest daughter's comments at the height of her rebellion: "You're upset because the voices in my head only talk to me!"

That's T-shirt worthy, seriously.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Keen to see how this one turns out, I've had a similar plan in my head as well. I like the older yet still good size cases these come in. Can't wait to see the results...

Best,

Mike

1 - 17 of 17 Posts