The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As seen on Ebay, cost £64

New crystal, repaint chronograph hands, polish up case and bracelet, new seals, full strip down and service, replace broken minute recording wheel. Job done.

Brown may not be my colour but it's another for the collection:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
It is quite remarkable the difference the original bracelet makes to the overall aesthetic of that piece. Job well done.

·
Registered
2,470 Posts
Is that the correct crystal for that watch?

I can't recall ever seeing any Seiko with such a tall crystal.

Looks good :sign0098:

·
Vendor
1,693 Posts
Have become accustomed to your great restores Mike, here's another example & I enjoy seeing them every time......................... Best wishes as ever..

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Is that the correct crystal for that watch?

I can't recall ever seeing any Seiko with such a tall crystal.

Looks good :sign0098:

Yea, its the correct genuine Seiko replacement crystal for the 6139-8020 from Stefan. Unfortunately its not domed like the one originally fitted, as usual Seiko changed the spec' for the worse.

·
Registered
931 Posts
What did you use to get the perfect looking brushed finish on top of the case ? Emory cloth , sand paper ? Did you go across the face in one stroke , one direction at a time ? The small lines don't cross each other which makes it look like a perfect machine finish .
Thanks , Louis

·
Registered
309 Posts
What did you use to get the perfect looking brushed finish on top of the case ? Emory cloth , sand paper ? Did you go across the face in one stroke , one direction at a time ? The small lines don't cross each other which makes it look like a perfect machine finish .
Thanks , Louis
Yes Mike, I too would love to know the secret to your excellent brushed finish!
Can you share it with us mere mortal hamfisted types? :p

·
Registered
5,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
OK, it's straight forward.

First depending on the condition of the case remove any deep dents and scratches. I use fine files and emery sticks depending on the conditions and end up with a smooth surface, not necessarily mirror polished but free from scratches.

To apply the finish I put a sheet of 120-240 grit emery paper on a flat surface and use a piece of wood as a guide to run the head along gradually inclining the head to cover the curved portion over the lug shrouds.

No secret technique, just several passes (in one direction I find best) and move the guide along the emery regularly to keep the finish sharp.

BTW: I worked this out myself but another member posted a small missive along similar lines a while ago.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts