The Watch Site banner
21 - 40 of 47 Posts

· Registered
228 Posts
In addition to what jack_iww wrote, my suggestions are as follows

1. make it lighter...titanium version maybe?
2. improve the OEM rubber strap...good looking but too uncomfortable even after boiling
3. remove one of the 4 lines of text on the dial above 6...

· Registered
195 Posts
Slim the watch down, way too tall and unbalanced like the Rolex DSSD. Chunky bracelet needs an overhaul and the clasp extension is awkward to operate.

I could even argue that the one piece case is irrelevant at this point. They're only eliminating one point of ingress for water intrusion ie. the case back. They are plenty of hyper deep depth rated watches that utilize a traditional case back design.

Sapphire crystal.

Incorporate a ceramic bezel insert that is easily and relatively inexpensive to replace if necessary.
The balance between the height and the diameter was my primary negative issue with this watch, which I have owned. I thought the bracelet extension mechanism was cool and a plus. As for the case design, I thought the logic had to do with Seiko's approach to dealing with Helium not water. The crystal was a non issue for me and I thought the bezel was fine.

· Registered
195 Posts
i once remember someone talking about the MM and the problem you have if you end up threading the crown....can that issue be easily resolved
This issue was discussed a lot "back in the day" and was a consideration when I bought my MM. At the time I tried to dig into this topic and pretty much came to the conclusion that, while the cross threading issue MAY have happened to some guy somewhere, it was really more of a (slightly irrational) fear than a common problem.

The folklore status of the potential problem also made it a common fear, so too was the common response: we all diligently "back threaded" the crown first when winding it down onto the tube.

(Unless I've missed something and there has been a rash of cross threading in recent years with the MM's while I was away from the forums.)

· Registered
1,765 Posts
I have been considering for a couple of years (since Neylo bought his) to buy a new MM. After reading this thread, especially Jack's opinnion, maybe I'll wait a little more.

But a orange dialed MM...I don't know :unsure:

· Registered
1,833 Posts
Well, I don't dive with it, and I'm guessing 99% of us never get any of these 'dive' watches past 30m of water in the 1st place, so to me, the extreme depth capability etc.... is more illusion than capability.

That said, I love a meaty dive watch on the wrist, which despite my 1st sentence is why I kind of like the solid block (non-opening back) case. At least I can dream! "Yeah, if I took up diving, I'd take this baby with me". As a side benefit, I have to say the back of the 300MM hugs my wrist like few other watches. Maybe that's lug design (the Sumo also in nice in this area) rather than the presence or lack of a screw down back, but I know it works.

Re: the height, I could do with a slightly shorter watch, but then I also like the heft of it, and the 'extra' material to get that height contributes to the weight. Re: titanium, I'd rather it stay chunky. I've got numerous titanium watches, and while they're nice, I like to feel a watch on my wrist. I'll also confess to enjoying the reaction when people ask to see and, and their "Wow, that's heavy?!" upon having it placed in their hands. Is that a reason to keep it heavy, or buy a heavy watch? I hope not, but I'll admit to enjoying the look they give when they're surprised by the weight of it. Let's not kid ourselves, there's evidence to suggest that added weight is interpreted by many to be extra quality (Rolex, Rolls Royce, things like that)

I fully agree on the bezel, an insert (ceramic or otherwise) would be a big improvement. I bought a replacement bezel for my 300mm even though mine is perfect "just in case" as I expect to own this watch a really long time. I think sapphire would be a nice enhancement, and any redesign should play with dials, hands and surfacings on the case, but at the end of it all, I think (opinion alert!) if we are honest with ourselves, I think part of the allure of the 300MM is it on the way to being an 'homage' to its fore-bearers, it involves some compromises on the wrist.

If we made it with a back that opens, with bezel inserts, played around with the gasketing, changed out the dial, thinned it down, etc, etc..... next thing you know, we've got a cool new SKX007, and we've already got that (and I own/love them as well).

· Registered
195 Posts
I also like the heft of it, and the 'extra' material to get that height contributes to the weight. Re: titanium, I'd rather it stay chunky. I've got numerous titanium watches, and while they're nice, I like to feel a watch on my wrist. I'll also confess to enjoying the reaction when people ask to see and, and their "Wow, that's heavy?!" upon having it placed in their hands. Is that a reason to keep it heavy, or buy a heavy watch? I hope not, but I'll admit to enjoying the look they give when they're surprised by the weight of it
I feel the same way.

· Registered
505 Posts
It was SharkfinDave from Quebec. I'm pretty sure they laser welded a new case tube in. Terry from DWC had his crown and tube replaced with a TripLock.

Best wishes,
Myles
Myles, you are correct. Dave his historical MM with a messed crown by the previous owner and had to buy a new case for it if I recall. I was foolish and believed the MM needed a triple gasket crown conversion and Jack at IWW did a great job installing one for me. But by MM didn't have a messed up crown I was just listening to too much internet hype and got it done.

I agree with Jack's updates that would be nice but I love the MM the way it is.:grin:

· Registered
583 Posts
i am not saying it happens a lot or a little bit
the discussion i refer to...(and it may have even been tiger, but i could be wrong), was discussing the effort required to fix a threaded crown on a MM compared to fixing the same issue on eg a rolex sub. ie very difficult on a MM compared to not a biggie on a sub

This issue was discussed a lot "back in the day" and was a consideration when I bought my MM. At the time I tried to dig into this topic and pretty much came to the conclusion that, while the cross threading issue MAY have happened to some guy somewhere, it was really more of a (slightly irrational) fear than a common problem.

The folklore status of the potential problem also made it a common fear, so too was the common response: we all diligently "back threaded" the crown first when winding it down onto the tube.

(Unless I've missed something and there has been a rash of cross threading in recent years with the MM's while I was away from the forums.)

· Registered
195 Posts
the discussion i refer to...(and it may have even been tiger, but i could be wrong), was discussing the effort required to fix a threaded crown on a MM compared to fixing the same issue on eg a rolex sub. ie very difficult on a MM compared to not a biggie on a sub
I see what you are saying now. Thanks.

I do have a bit of hypersensitivity to the "cross threading" issue with respect to the MM. It used to be talked about so much but the more I looked into it the more I came to the conclusion that the amount of fear people had about it was way out of proportion to the actual problem.

· Registered
2,598 Posts
on the catch up with the forum agai.

interesting reading and points raised.

but, the only thing i could think of changing would be to have a seperate ceramic bezel insert replacement option rather than having to change the complete bezel.

the possible crown cross threading never stopped me getting mine. mainly as i have always back threaded first all my watches before winding down the crown.

just my two pence worth.

· Registered
2,099 Posts
the only thing i could think of changing would be to have a seperate ceramic bezel insert replacement option rather than having to change the complete bezel.

the possible crown cross threading never stopped me getting mine. mainly as i have always back threaded first all my watches before winding down the crown.
I would prefer a traditional Al bezel insert. It would be more in keeping with the 6159-7000 it pays homage to.

As for turning the crown backwards to align the threads, I do that as a matter of course with all screw-down crowns. I don't find the crown on the MM to be any more fiddly than any other.

Best wishes,
Myles

· Registered
505 Posts
Actually a new crown/tube can be ordered from [email protected] watches for $80 last time I check. Also MCWW and IWW can service the Seiko MM.:grin:

So it isn't as much as a Rolex by any means.

· Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 ·
OP here. Bumping this thread as it's been half a year and some developments.

The JPY is at a crazy low to the USD (and probably European currencies). The SBDX012 is on the horizon. And I passed on the MM300 after trying it on due to my small wrists. I vomited a bit in my mouth when I realized that.

So, any thoughts, rumors or conjectures as to updates?

· Registered
363 Posts
I love mine as is, never felt the need for a signed crown and the sapphire so many call for. I'd leave the MM300 be, and make a companion model thats slightly thinner and narrower, with a President bracelet and a 7C46 quartz movement. Offer an orange dial without AUTOMATIC PROFESSIONAL. Done.

· Registered
1,788 Posts
If be surprised to see any type of substantial update. In my mind, the MM300 occupies a very specific spot in the Seiko lineup. If you want to go deeper, cheaper, more exclusive, screw in case back, similarly priced but different design....whatever, there are other models Seiko offers. As for the MM300, it's appeal IMHO, is mostly a brand lineage thing and, as such, it is what it is.

I agree with jacks earlier points on how it could be improved, but then it would be a different watch entirely. Make a new diver? Sure. Fundamentally change this one? Don't see it happening.

I love mine as it is, for what it is, with all it's strengths and faults. Going to switch over to it now in fact :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
400 Posts
one simple o-ring on the crown post. You're getting the same WR technology on the $2000 MM300 as you are with a $200 SKX.

Slim the watch down, way too tall and unbalanced like the Rolex DSSD. Chunky bracelet needs an overhaul and the clasp extension is awkward to operate.

I could even argue that the one piece case is irrelevant at this point. They're only eliminating one point of ingress for water intrusion ie. the case back. They are plenty of hyper deep depth rated watches that utilize a traditional case back design.

Get rid of some of the polished case surfaces and use more brushed, too blingy.

Sapphire crystal.

Incorporate a ceramic bezel insert that is easily and relatively inexpensive to replace if necessary.

The movement, dial and hands are all first class.

How's that sound for a re-work? Seiko could execute these changes in 6 months or fewer.

Amen Brother!
I got a little emotional reading that one!
Throw in a really well thought out vintage style caoutchouc strap and I really have died and gone to heaven.
Ok ok ok, straying from the one piece case may be a little too heretical for the Seiko Fundamentalist in me :)

· Registered
505 Posts
Did your wrist get bigger? Because it is still the same size. ;)
OP here. Bumping this thread as it's been half a year and some developments.

The JPY is at a crazy low to the USD (and probably European currencies). The SBDX012 is on the horizon. And I passed on the MM300 after trying it on due to my small wrists. I vomited a bit in my mouth when I realized that.

So, any thoughts, rumors or conjectures as to updates?

21 - 40 of 47 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.