The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

Is the Marinemaster 300 (SBDX001) due for an update?

Any thoughts, rumors or speculation welcomed!

·
Registered
170 Posts
Yes, IMHO. Start with a more durable crown/tube threading assembly and more than >

one simple o-ring on the crown post. You're getting the same WR technology on the $2000 MM300 as you are with a $200 SKX.

Slim the watch down, way too tall and unbalanced like the Rolex DSSD. Chunky bracelet needs an overhaul and the clasp extension is awkward to operate.

I could even argue that the one piece case is irrelevant at this point. They're only eliminating one point of ingress for water intrusion ie. the case back. They are plenty of hyper deep depth rated watches that utilize a traditional case back design.

Get rid of some of the polished case surfaces and use more brushed, too blingy.

Sapphire crystal.

Incorporate a ceramic bezel insert that is easily and relatively inexpensive to replace if necessary.

The movement, dial and hands are all first class.

How's that sound for a re-work? Seiko could execute these changes in 6 months or fewer.

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
one simple o-ring on the crown post. You're getting the same WR technology on the $2000 MM300 as you are with a $200 SKX.

Slim the watch down, way too tall and unbalanced like the Rolex DSSD. Chunky bracelet needs an overhaul and the clasp extension is awkward to operate.

I could even argue that the one piece case is irrelevant at this point. They're only eliminating one point of ingress for water intrusion ie. the case back. They are plenty of hyper deep depth rated watches that utilize a traditional case back design.

Get rid of some of the polished case surfaces and use more brushed, too blingy.

Sapphire crystal.

Incorporate a ceramic bezel insert that is easily and relatively inexpensive to replace if necessary.

The movement, dial and hands are all first class.

How's that sound for a re-work? Seiko could execute these changes in 6 months or fewer.
My new grail :):clap::clap::clap::clap:

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
I really don't understand why would you need another 'o' ring? (except for bragging rights or cosmetic reasons) The SKX single ring was tested to 460M with no leakage and has been used in it's thousands as a dive watch. But have you heard of them being renowned as leaky?.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I really don't understand why would you need another 'o' ring? (except for bragging rights or cosmetic reasons) The SKX single ring was tested to 460M with no leakage and has been used in it's thousands as a dive watch. But have you heard of them being renowned as leaky?.
Redundancy. Two is one, one is none.

Best wishes,
Myles

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
You could even argue that they haven't eliminated one point of ingress. Rather, they have moved it from the bottom to the top. There is the gasket with the "L" cross section that the crystal sits in, and the o-ring that seals the crystal assembly to the case. So there are three ways for water to get in. Same as a watch with a traditional case back.

I think the one-piece case is more for historical reasons than technological reasons. After all, the 8L35-0010 is more or less a re-issue of the 6159-7000.

Best wishes,
Myles

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Redundancy. Two is one, one is none.

Best wishes,
Myles
If that's your best rational answer - why not fit double crystal and caseback seals also?? There must be massive amounts of flooded SKX007's if redundant seals are required.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
If that's your best rational answer - why not fit double crystal and caseback seals also?? There must be massive amounts of flooded SKX007's if redundant seals are required.
No need to get snarky.

There are tons of "vintage" Seiko dive watches that have been damaged by water intrusion. The crown seal is subject to more wear than the caseback and crystal seals. It seems like cheap insurance to have more than one gasket at the crown.

Since it seems like I've insulted you by suggesting a better crown sealing system for the Marine Master, I should let you know that I happen to own one. Do you?

I guess I own two, technically.

:grin:

Best wishes,
Myles

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
Snarky?? pmsl - I should let you know that I don't honestly give a monkey's if you have twenty five of them.
It seems like I've touched a nerve when I said the second seal was for bragging rights - and your post proved me right.

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
Snarky?? pmsl - I should let you know that I don't honestly give a monkey's if you have twenty five of them.
It seems like I've touched a nerve when I said the second seal was for bragging rights - and your post proved me right.
This, exactly, was what I was getting at. I'm done. You?

·
Registered
4,926 Posts
ROFPMSL

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
:sign0004: this is much better than anything on tv at the moment. Seriously though, differences in opinion are a big part of what keeps the forum interesting. You've both been on here long enough to know that. Embrace it, don't poke at each other because of it. Go have a cold one or a pint or whatever it's referred to in your part of the world and unwind. :singing:

·
Registered
549 Posts
i once remember someone talking about the MM and the problem you have if you end up threading the crown....can that issue be easily resolved

·
Administrator
30,123 Posts
i once remember someone talking about the MM and the problem you have if you end up threading the crown....can that issue be easily resolved
I forget who now but dident some one send theres back to Japan for a new tube/case ? expensive if i remember correct.

I believe that some have had a triplock conversion ?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
:sign0004: this is much better than anything on tv at the moment. Seriously though, differences in opinion are a big part of what keeps the forum interesting. You've both been on here long enough to know that. Embrace it, don't poke at each other because of it. Go have a cold one or a pint or whatever it's referred to in your part of the world and unwind. :singing:
I have no problem with differences in opinion. What gave you that impression?

·
Registered
2,100 Posts
I forget who now but dident some one send theres back to Japan for a new tube/case ? expensive if i remember correct.

I believe that some have had a triplock conversion ?
It was SharkfinDave from Quebec. I'm pretty sure they laser welded a new case tube in. Terry from DWC had his crown and tube replaced with a TripLock.

Best wishes,
Myles

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I have no problem with differences in opinion. What gave you that impression?
I don't think you do. However, from an outside perspective the tone of the back and forth seemed to be getting a little heated, and it doesn't hurt for even the best of us to be reminded from time to time.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
So, what are the collective thoughts here, regarding Jack's as to whether the monocoque case is arguably irrelevant? Would an He valve then be needed?

I'm curious about which watches with cases, are He safe and do not have He valves.

Thanks all.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts