The Watch Site banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
2,123 Posts
Call me stupid but....
Are you going to turn that 6309 into a Gene K.?

·
Special Member
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Won't you need to replace the day /date wheel considering all of them have a crown at 3?
Excellent Observation! Yes. You are totally correct. I will be swapping a Day and Date Wheel from a Non-Working 7546 Movement with Crown at 4 o'clock.

·
Registered
932 Posts
Looks like it's going to turn out to be an interesting mod. I'm guessing it'll be the silver dial going in? Would match up well with that silver insert.

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Nice project Kyle!
Keep in mind the dial pins will also have to be removed on a dial from a 3 o'clock crown cased movement to be used on a 4 o'clock crown cased movement.

·
Special Member
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nice project Kyle!
Keep in mind the dial pins will also have to be removed on a dial from a 3 o'clock crown cased movement to be used on a 4 o'clock crown cased movement.

Dial Feet Clipped. Always hurts to do this... but Needed!

·
Special Member
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Omega Speedmaster, Seiko 6119-8460, and in Apollo 13 Eagle Eyed Viewers will notice Ed Harris is wearing a Seiko 6139 Pogue.

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Aloha Sir,

Kyle just how close is a 6106-8100 Case compaired to a ... Kranz watch.
Are they almost twins ....?
I mean comparison wise....?
Have to ask because I am not to much about dress watch's.
Louis

·
Registered
3,587 Posts
Here you go Louis.......
8100 on left Kranz on right........

Attachments

·
Special Member
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Photo of Gene Kranz's actual Seiko 6119-8460 watch that he wore as NASA Flight Director.

Gene Kranz's White Silk Vest he wore as NASA Flight Director during the Apollo 13 mission. Vest is on Display at the Smithsonian Air and Space Museum in Washington, DC. All of Kranz's Vests were handmade by his Wife.

·
Special Member
2,633 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)

Almost all of the Parts for the Mod were purchased a Long Time Ago and just lying around in a Parts Bin. I don't remember why they were orignally purchased? Most likely for other Mod Projects that never materialized. It's amazing how much Extra Stuff gets accumulated over time.

6309-7049 Case - Good crown threads (3 1/2 turns to screw down). Case was highly polished by the previous owner to an almost mirror finish. I normally don't like polished cases so I might do a circular brushing to try to get the case back to looking closer to the original finish.

6309-7049 Caseback - I might change to a Sterilized Caseback with only the Seiko Tsunami showing. John TigerUK machined some for me a while ago (Thank You Commander Sir)

Chapter/Dial Ring - Aluminum Ring (in group photo). There is also a Stainless Steel 6309 Dial Ring available (not pictured). Not sure which would look better - Aluminum (Matte finish more Silver/White color) or Stainless Steel (Polished shiny finish more Grey color)?

Bezel Insert - Brushed Stainless SBBN007 Tuna Bezel AM Insert with Engraved Numbers. One of my favorite Bezel Inserts.

Hands- 6159-7010 Grandfather Tuna AM Hand Set with Divided Centers (nice match to the Dial Hour Markers). Lume tint is slightly light green which also nicely matches the Lume Color on the Dial. One of my favorite Seiko Hand Sets - Big and Bold.

Dial - 6309 Irridescent Sunburst Silver Dial with Applied SEIKO Logo and Polished Chrome Raised Hour Markers

Movement - 6309 Automatic - I had 2 - 6309s that were running well with good numbers on the timegrapher. A Blue 6309 and a No Dial 6309 (not sure what I used the Dial for?). The No Dial 6309 had better amplitude so I'm going with that one.

Bracelet - I found 2 - 6309 Oyster bracelets (both are Solid Link with Screw In Pins). One is 22 tapering to 18 at the clasp and the other is a 22 tapering to 20 at the clasp. Both with Solid End Links. Not entirely sure of the Manufacturer of the Bracelets :confused:

·
Registered
3,871 Posts
Here you go Louis.......
8100 on left Kranz on right........
Aloha Sir,
I have this -8100 but still needs a new dial but rare to find too.
This one is in really top shape too.
I'd take any of the colors that goes to the case if can be found.
It came to me but it was .... Oils Soaked to the Gills.
So there is a slight difference to Case Size ...... ?
Are they inter-changeable ..... the 6106 Case and the 6119...?
Louis

Note:
I have two other cases here but they have different ...Profile Bezels so
I was wondering just what that differences were.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 63 Posts